VMware Cloud Community
glousteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CentOS 8.2 Installation Challenge(s) (Error setting up base repository)

I downloaded a new 8.2 CentOS iso and am deploying it on ESXi 6.5.  I have plenty of resources (cpu, memory, hdd space) on my ESXi server I think/know.  however, I'm getting this error(s) during the CentOS installation.  This might be better suited for CentOS communities if they exist, but I'm trying to validate I don't have a virtualization issue going on

I configured the VM and powered it on. I then launched the console and get stuck at this screen with the Error setting up base repository.  It seems as if it booted off of the iso, but has forgotten where it booted from??

Any ideas if this is an ESXi issue or CentOS issue?  How can I isolate and troubleshoot?

thanks

Greg

ACentOS_errorCapture.JPG

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

This looks more of a CentOS issue.

I came across following articles from CentOS where they had provided the repository link manually:

https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=16456

https://www.networkshinobi.com/centos-8-error-setting-up-base-repository/

0 Kudos
glousteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, I found similar references.  All of that seems to indicate I'm downloading the files from a remote server, shouldn't the iso have all of the necessary installation files already in it?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It should ideally have.

Not sure why it's reporting that error. Could be an issue with that particular version.

Try providing that manually and if the issue persists, try posting on centos forums as well.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Linux guest area since this appears to be an OS-specific issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos