VMware Cloud Community
mdrobnak
Contributor
Contributor

Adding modules to pre-built library

I am currently using Debian Squeeze with ESX 4 in production. However, upgrading the tools becomes a chore, as I don't want to have to install gcc and the kernel headers on all VMs. I'd rather have a box that does that, and update the tar package with the new modules. I have tried doing so on one server, but I only get it to load vmmemctl module - all the rest in the directory created get passed over as if they didn't exist. Thats without specifying -m on the command line.

If I make it the only directory and do a vmware-config-tools.pl -p -m

then

vmmemctl

vmxnet3

vmxnet

vmblock

all work.

vmci, and the pvscsi modules do not load on the box with the modules copied over, but on the other box, they compile fine and load fine.

Has anyone added their own pre-built modules, and if so, what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks.

-Matt

EDIT: Some of the modules were still loaded, and therefore failing, when tools were trying to load them. After "rmmod"-ing them...I get a loads perfectly message when doing -p and -m...somethings still not right, but at least it's loading everything now. Ends with an execution aborted error, but that can be worked around...but the whole thing is too messy, and I'm trying to clean it up. I'm trying to streamline the upgrade process, not make it harder.

0 Kudos
0 Replies