VMware Cloud Community
KotaKuroiwa
Contributor
Contributor

About BIOS Information for Virtual Equipment Linux

When dmidecode is executed on VMware Linux, the value "6" is displayed as BIOS information.

Does this "6" value indicate any version of VMware?
Also, is this BIOS information updated?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"6" corresponds to a specific DMI type: In this case, "6" refers to a specific type of hardware component reported by the SMBIOS tables. It likely doesn't directly relate to the BIOS itself. More commonly, "6" represents "Memory Module" information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
KotaKuroiwa
Contributor
Contributor

@DavoudTeimouri 
Thank you for your response.
I understand now. So it is a number that generally seems to represent the maximum GB of the memory module?

I understood that if the version of the ESXi host changes, the maximum GB will also change, so this information may also change.

KotaKuroiwa_0-1712199693738.png

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What you say "VMware Linux" do you mean a command executed in the CLI of ESXi?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
KotaKuroiwa
Contributor
Contributor

@scott28tt 
Yes, it is.
When I run dmidecode against VMware Linux, it returns 6.00.
I'm assuming this value doesn't mean anything, but does it get updated?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Don't think of ESXi as "VMware Linux", some commands that you would find in a Linux distribution are also in the BusyBox component of ESXi (which provides the CLI that you can access via SSH) but many commands do not work the same way or at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos