VMware Cloud Community
TonyNguyenTonyN
Contributor
Contributor

Want to be able to choose which folders get installed and update without creating installer?

Hi! I am trying to pack multiple folders, and when I run the installer, I want to be able to choose which folders get installed and to heir designated locations. Do I create multiple components? I'm really new to this and trying to understand this tool. Thanks! 

I also had another question: if I have a folder, that might get new or updated files, and want to install those into a designated location, how can I do that while running the installer? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnonymousDefaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The following section of the InstallBuilder documentation shows how to conditionally pack a folder:

https://clients.bitrock.com/installbuilder/docs/installbuilder-userguide.html#_conditionally_packing...

For an update installer you can just add a new folder to the installer. To overwrite installed files you can add a folder with the same destination as the older one.

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos
TonyNguyenTonyN
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply! I was wondering if you could answer one more question for me.

I have a deliverable folder that will get new files for me to deploy to the DeployFolder. Instead of constantly opening bitrock, and hitting quick build, pack the new files, and then create the installer, I want to be able to just run my installer and have it check in the deliverable folder to see if there are new files, then copy them over to the DeployFolder. Now whether ot the files are new or are updates to files already in the DeployFolder, a popup will ask if I want to override the file.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

0 Kudos
michiel_dhont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tony,

You can use the <copyFile> action in the <preBuildActionList> and add a rule to execute it if it finds any files:

<copyFile>
         <origin>deliverables</origin>
         <destination>deploy</destination>
         <ruleList>
             <fileExists path= or ' deliverables/some_file or ' />
         </ruleList>
     </copyFile>

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos