VMware Cloud Community
lzambito
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to copy osx-x86_64 and osx-arm64 binaries using platformTest

I'm trying to build a single installer that will copy either osx-x86_64 or osx-arm64 binaries to our users computer based on what Mac architecture they have at runtime. I'm using platformTest to find the machine architecture, but it is not working. In the following code, both platformTest rules fail on all Mac architectures and no binary folders get copied.

<folder>
  <description>Frameworks files for osx-x86_64</description>
  <destination>${installdir}</destination> 
  <name>frameworks_osx_x86_64</name>
  <platforms>osx</platforms>
  <distributionFileList>
    <distributionFile>
      <allowWildcards>1</allowWildcards>
      <origin>/tmp/tmp.EfDgWB6wQW/Syrup-APPLE_UNIVERSAL_OSX/osx-x86_64/*</origin>
    </distributionFile>
  </distributionFileList>
  <ruleList>
    <platformTest>
      <type>osx-x86_64</type>
    </platformTest>
  </ruleList>
</folder>
<folder>
  <description>Frameworks files for osx-arm64</description>
  <destination>${installdir}</destination>
  <name>frameworks_osx_arm64</name>
  <platforms>osx</platforms>
  <distributionFileList>
    <distributionFile>
      <allowWildcards>1</allowWildcards>
      <origin>/tmp/tmp.EfDgWB6wQW/Syrup-APPLE_UNIVERSAL_OSX/osx-arm64/*</origin>
    </distributionFile>
  </distributionFileList>
  <ruleList>
    <platformTest>
      <type>osx-arm64</type>
    </platformTest>
  </ruleList>
</folder>

So I'm wondering if it is possible to use platformTest to detect osx-x86_64/osx-arm64 architectures at runtime and if it is possible, what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michieldhont_
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi @lzambito ,

In the rule instead of osx-x86_64  could you try osx-intel? 

Regarding the private support access, could you contact our sales department at installbuilder-sales@vmware.com?

Regards,

Michiel

View solution in original post

6 Replies
michieldhont_
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi @lzambito,

Which InstallBuilder version are you using? Could you contact us in private support? 

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos
lzambito
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @michieldhont_ ,

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to create a ticket in private support, but I can't get past the product selection (I'm not seeing any products). I'll see if I can fix this in my profile settings.

As for the version, I'm using version 21.6.0 Multiplatform Professional installer, and it's running on a linux machine.

I've included both osx-x86_64 and osx-arm64 platforms in the <osxPlatforms> setting, but I still get a failed <platformTest> when I run the installer on an osx-x86_64 platform.

Thanks for your help.

Leo

0 Kudos
michieldhont_
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi @lzambito ,

In the rule instead of osx-x86_64  could you try osx-intel? 

Regarding the private support access, could you contact our sales department at installbuilder-sales@vmware.com?

Regards,

Michiel

lzambito
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @michieldhont_ ,

I tried setting the type to osx-intel, and that worked. Thanks for the tip.

For the arm64 platform test, I'm just going to use the same platformTest with osx-intel and negate it. This should work for us since we're only supporting the x86_64 and the arm64 platforms in our Mac installers. However, if there is a better option, let me know.

As for the private support access, sales got back to me and told me how to get the entitlement needed to create the ticket. Once that's setup I'll create the ticket for this.

Thanks,

Leo

0 Kudos
computermusik
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm also having an issue performing a MacOS platform test as osx-intel returns true on my M1 Mac mini. I'm not entirely sure what to do. I'm using Version: 21.12.0 (2022-01-31).

Georg

0 Kudos
michieldhont_
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi @computermusik,

Could you contact us in private support:

https://installbuilder.com/how-to-create-ticket.html

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos