VMware Cloud Community
the_jinx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to make Chinese localization work on Mac OS X?

My installer supports eight different languages, which are displayed correctly in ' auto'  language detection mode, but for one exception:

On Mac OS X, the installer doesn't recognize simplified Chinese (' zh_CN' ), and consequently uses the first language defined in the <allowedLanguages> list instead. On Windows, it works fine.

I know that the Chinese localization file works fine and gets loaded/used correctly by the installer (for example, when adding the '--installer-language zh_CN' command-line option), but the installer should auto-detect that the user set Chinese as their preferred language in the System Preferences panel.

This is from my project file:

<defaultLanguage>auto</defaultLanguage>
<allowedLanguages>en de es fr it ja pt zh_CN</allowedLanguages>

<!-- Localized installer strings -->
<customLanguageFileList>
    <language code=' de'     encoding=' utf-8'  file=' ../LocalizedStrings/LocalizedStrings_de.lng' />
    <language code=' en'     encoding=' utf-8'  file=' ../LocalizedStrings/LocalizedStrings_en.lng' />
    <language code=' es'     encoding=' utf-8'  file=' ../LocalizedStrings/LocalizedStrings_es.lng' />
    <language code=' fr'     encoding=' utf-8'  file=' ../LocalizedStrings/LocalizedStrings_fr.lng' />
    <language code=' it'     encoding=' utf-8'  file=' ../LocalizedStrings/LocalizedStrings_it.lng' />
    <language code=' ja'     encoding=' utf-8'  file=' ../LocalizedStrings/LocalizedStrings_ja.lng' />
    <language code=' pt'     encoding=' utf-8'  file=' ../LocalizedStrings/LocalizedStrings_pt.lng' />
    <language code=' zh_CN'  encoding=' utf-8'  file=' ../LocalizedStrings/LocalizedStrings_zh_CN.lng' />
</customLanguageFileList>

Any ideas what might be missing? Is it an InstallBuilder bug?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnonymousDefaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for reporting the issue. It seems they have changed the language codes used to designate traditional and simplified Chinese:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/634674/cocoa-iphone-how-do-i-create-a-simplified-chinese-localiza...

We are already working to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
the_jinx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since macOS 10.12, the language detection broken again, because a region identifier was added by Apple.

For example, on a German system with language set to  or ' simplified Chinese or ' , the installer will set the variable  or ' system_locale or '  to  or ' zh_Hans_DE or '  (instead of  or ' zh_Hans or ' ).

This will no longer match our installer's supported languages  or ' zh_CN or '  or  or ' zh_TW or ' , which were detected correctly on previous systems.

Will this be fixed with an update to InstallBuilder, or do I need to fix my list of  or ' allowedLanguages or ' ?

0 Kudos
michiel_dhont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for reporting the issue. We are currently investigating it and we will contact you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Michiel D'Hont

0 Kudos