VMware Cloud Community
AnonymousDefaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to integrate acrobat reader with my exe installer?

I want to prepare an insatller for my .exe file but people who want to benefit from this software must have Acrobat Reader 10 installed...so how can I get people install Acrobat Reader 10 wiht my own software too. Thank you very much.

In other words when they install  my software, I want my installer to ask them to insatll acrobat reader 10 too... Thank you very much.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AnonymousDefaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe you first need to apply for a license as explained here

After that, you will be able to download a redistributable package, which can be installed in unattended mode from the installer using the command suggested in this post:

<runProgram>   <program>${installdir}/adobe/AdobeRdr1000.exe</program>   <programArguments>/msi EULA_ACCEPT=YES /qn</programArguments> </runProgram> 

Or if you want to just point your users to the website for them to download it, you could launch a browser to the download page if the user does not have it:

<booleanParameter>    <name>get_adobe_reader</name>    <explanation>Adobe Reader is required, check the below if you do not already have it installed to visit the download page. After downloading and installing it, please continue with the installation</explanation>    <description>Visit Adobe Reader Download Page</description>    <value>1</value>    <postShowPageActionList>     <launchBrowser>       <url>http://get.adobe.com/reader/</url>       <ruleList>         <isTrue>             <value>${get_adobe_reader}</value>         </isTrue>       </ruleList>     </launchBrowser>    </postShowPageActionList>    <ruleList>      <registryTest>        <key>HKEY_CURRENT_USER or  or  or  or Software or  or  or  or Adobe or  or  or  or Acrobat Reader or  or  or  or 10.0 or  or  or  or InstallPath</key>        <logic>does_not_exist</logic>        <name></name>      </registryTest>    </ruleList> </booleanParameter> 

Please not the page is just displayed if Adobe Reader is not found in the registry but it still make it possible to continue without installing it. If you want to prevent the installation, you could just throw an error in the initialization:

<initializationActionList>     <actionGroup>         <actionList>             <launchBrowser>                 <url>http://get.adobe.com/reader/</url>             </launchBrowser>             <throwError>                 <text>This installer requires Adobe Reader. Please, install it and relaunch te process.</text>             </throwError>         </actionList>         <ruleList>           <registryTest>             <key>HKEY_CURRENT_USER or  or  or  or Software or  or  or  or Adobe or  or  or  or Acrobat Reader or  or  or  or 10. or  or  or  or InstallPath</key>                           <logic>does_not_exist</logic>             <name></name>           </registryTest>         </ruleList>     </actionGroup> </initializationActionList> 
0 Kudos