VMware Cloud Community
tlongabaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Ejection error on macOS Big Sur Beta

Hi-

I am preparing my software for macOS Big Sur, and have encountered an error when running my installers built with VMWare InstalBuilder for Qt 20.70. The installer is hosted on a disk image (.dmg). The installer appears to complete successfully and close, but when I try to eject the disk image containing the installer, I get the following error:

"The disk '<Disk Name>' wasn't ejected because one or more programs may be using it."

Okay, so I'd think this was a problem with how I create the .dmg in my build scripts - but, the VMWare InstallBuilder for Qt 20.7.0 installer itself has the exact same problem! So I think the issue lies with the installer not terminating properly.

Is this a known issue on your end? I am running macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta 10 on an Apple DTK.

Thanks,

Tom

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
michiel_dhont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi tlongabaugh​,

InstallBuilder does not support Big Sur. We are working on adding support for it once the official release is due. In any case our engineers will look at the issue.

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos
tlongabaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Michiel,

Yes, completely understood that you're not yet providing Big Sur support. I simply wanted to see if it was a known issue, and if not make your team aware. It's important that our installers run smoothly on Big Sur when it launches.. Thanks for looking into it!

Best,

Tom

0 Kudos
tlongabaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, now that Big Sur has been released, is there an updated timeline on when this might be fixed?

0 Kudos
michieldhont_
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @tlongabaugh,

We are still investing it. We have been able to reproduce it in the DTK but not in a Intel VM, so it may be related to Rosetta emulation blocking the DMG somehow (lsof does not indicate anything is blocking the DMG on our side, but it still is reported as blocked).

We can reproduce the same behavior if we download google chrome and doubleclick it from the dmg instead of dragging it. After installing, even if lsof does not report any open file on its DMG, it cannot be unmounted.

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos