VMware Horizon Community
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"symbol lookup error" ubuntu raspberry pi [SOLVED, WORKARROUND]

I am using vmware-view horizon client on my raspberry pi since 4.4 versión.

Actually I'm running vmware-view 2006 on ubuntu 18 (raspberry pi)

I have tried to upgrade to newer vmware-view 2012 and 2103 but this versions didn't work, boot fails with

error:

/usr/lib/vmware/view/bin/vmware-view: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/vmware/libpangomm-1.4.so.1: undefined symbol: _ZN4Glib6ObjectC2EOS0_

I have tried on other OS's (raspbian buster and ubuntu 20) with same issue.

Finally i have tried on raspbian jesse (it's outdated) and raspbian stretch and it works.

Any ideas to override this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi:

Finally i can update my raspberrys to latest vmware-view client(arm) but i had to make a workarround.

I had create a chroot environment with a debian strecth base system on it (i know vmware runs fine there).

So thats its my workarround, i'm install and run vmware-client from chroot env and it works like a charm.

If anyone need more deatils please comment.

regards

0 Kudos
AndrewChanReGen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Albert,

I have been using RPITC as our thin client for the pass 3 years. Until the recent hardware upgrade where i purchase Raspberry pi 4. RPITC unable to support it anymore.

Im current trying to installed the Ubuntu with Horizon VIew Client and face some issue as unable to get the view to be install.

Can you advise?

Regards

Thank you

0 Kudos
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andrew,

Many things have change since i have created this post.

Actually i'm quit using Ubuntu as base system on my thin clients, i'm switch back to raspberry OS because it have better support for vmware clients.

As i had commented here i was using a chroot environment in order to run vmware client on ubuntu.

Before hollidays break i tested latest vmware horizon client (2106) on a raspberry pi os system and it works like a charm, so i strongly recomend switch to this OS.

Pros:

Fully support for raspberry 3 an 4 models.

vmware runs Ok with no issues

Easy to find help for OS on raspberry's forums.

Easy to tune up OS

To install Vmware:

1.- Install OS on a SD card 

2.- Install vmware dependencys:

$ sudo apt install  libxss1 libxinerama1 libcairomm-1.0-1v5 libgtkmm-3.0-1v5 libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libsigc++-2.0-0v5

also install :

$ sudo apt install libv4lconvert0 libv4l-0 libspeex1 libtheora0

3.- Download vmware client (https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/downloads/details?downloadGroup=CART22FQ2_LIN_21061_TARBALL&pr...)

4.- Untar it and cd to the new dir (VMWare-Horizon-Client-Linux- ... etc ...)

5.- cd to the armhf dir

6.- Untar VMWare-Horizon-Client-(version)armhf.tar.gz  and cd to the new dir:

7.- sudo cp -rva bin/* /usr/bin  

8.- sudo cp -rva lib/* /usr/lib

9.- sudo cp -rva share/locale/[language]/LC_MESSAGES/vmware-view.mo /usr/share/locale/[language]/ --> This is to traslate vmware to your language, Here change [language] for the code of the language you prefer, es, in my case

10.- cd .. , untar VMWare-Horizon-PCoIP(version.tar.gz) and change to the new created dir

11.- cp -rva lib/* /usr/lib

12.- cd .., untar VMWare-Horizon-USB-(version).tar.gz and change to the new created dir

12+1.- cp -rva bin/* /usr/bin

14.- cp -rva lib/* /usr/lib

15.- cp -rva init.d/* /ete/init.d

And install it's done

To run vmware client:

1.- Start usb redirection --> sudo /etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator start

2.- Launch vmware --> vmware-view

Regards

AndrewChanReGen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Albert,

Thanks for the reply. I will try it later.

I also did some work around, I manage to run the raspberry pi4B with chromium os with KIOSK mode.

Not sure you interested on it or not. It works quite well except it dont work with PI3/PI3B/PI3B+ as the developer still not resolve the chromium os version on R89 to support PI3 group.

The only issue of this KIOSK mode is it dont support USB only.

0 Kudos
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi:

Thanks for the info (interesting)  but our organization is using a lot of raspi3 devices so it is important that the OS supports them.

We also had many issues with kiosk mode, USB support (as you do). We workarround this by creating dummy users with autologin at starpup for kiosk mode devices.

regards

0 Kudos
AndrewChanReGen
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Albert,

Totally agree on that. Do you mind to share how you manage to create dummy user with autologin for kiosk mode?

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi:

You must create a script with the vmware-view command and run it at startup.

Basic use of vmware-view is for example:

vmware-view -s your-server-ip-or-url -u user@domain.es -p userpassword -n "desktop to show" -q

run vmware-view --help to see all avaliable options.

Dont forget to run: /etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator start

Post if need more details.

regards

0 Kudos
AndrewChanReGen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Albert,

Thanks for the command. I facing 1 more issue which is the tool bar missing once it login on Pi4B. For PI3Bs i manage to control it via the overscan.

Do you have any idea to Pin the tool bar on the top and dont let it missing?

Regards

0 Kudos
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Take a look at config file options:

here:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-Client-for-Linux/2106/horizon-client-linux-installation/GU...

and here:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-Client-for-Linux/2106/horizon-client-linux-installation/GU...

view.autoHideToolbarNone

Specifies whether the toolbar is hidden or pinned automatically by default. Specify "TRUE" to hide the toolbar automatically. The default is "FALSE".

This option can also be set by starting Horizon Client, selecting File > Preferences from the menu bar, and selecting the Auto-hide toolbar check box.

Regards

0 Kudos
hnkd
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, can you talk about your installation and configuration process?

0 Kudos
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi:

i did that in this post, follow this steps:

To install Vmware:

1.- Install OS on a SD card 

2.- Install vmware dependencys:

$ sudo apt install  libxss1 libxinerama1 libcairomm-1.0-1v5 libgtkmm-3.0-1v5 libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libsigc++-2.0-0v5

also install :

$ sudo apt install libv4lconvert0 libv4l-0 libspeex1 libtheora0

3.- Download vmware client (https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/downloads/details?downloadGroup=CART22FQ2_LIN_21061_TARBALL&pr...)

4.- Untar it and cd to the new dir (VMWare-Horizon-Client-Linux- ... etc ...)

5.- cd to the armhf dir

6.- Untar VMWare-Horizon-Client-(version)armhf.tar.gz  and cd to the new dir:

7.- sudo cp -rva bin/* /usr/bin  

8.- sudo cp -rva lib/* /usr/lib

9.- sudo cp -rva share/locale/[language]/LC_MESSAGES/vmware-view.mo /usr/share/locale/[language]/ --> This is to traslate vmware to your language, Here change [language] for the code of the language you prefer, es, in my case

10.- cd .. , untar VMWare-Horizon-PCoIP(version.tar.gz) and change to the new created dir

11.- cp -rva lib/* /usr/lib

12.- cd .., untar VMWare-Horizon-USB-(version).tar.gz and change to the new created dir

12+1.- cp -rva bin/* /usr/bin

14.- cp -rva lib/* /usr/lib

15.- cp -rva init.d/* /ete/init.d

And install it's done

To run vmware client:

1.- Start usb redirection --> sudo /etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator start

2.- Launch vmware --> vmware-view

Regards

0 Kudos
hnkd
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I’m glad you can reply, I use a ROC-RK3328-CC card computer, installed ubuntu 18.04 ARM version, after installing it as you said, an error is reported

Snipaste_2021-12-08_17-11-15.png

0 Kudos
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi:

you can try to run /usr/lib/vmware/view/bin/vmware-view directly.

VMware don't run on arm64 platforms you should install an ubuntu 32 bits armhf version.

Regards.

0 Kudos
hnkd
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I will compile a new IMG mirror to try it out,grateful

0 Kudos
AndrewChanReGen
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Albertovich,

Do you install the latest version of 2111?

Until now i still unable to resolve the dual screen issue where i unable to see the drop down box to allow my user to disconnect the session.

Please advise

0 Kudos
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes i have installed latest vmware 2111.1.

I disabled H.264 since i had black screens during login sessions.

Vmware guys release new version 2204. I'm testing it now.

@AndrewChanReGen what do you need? pin the tool bar on the top of the sceen?

regards

0 Kudos
AndrewChanReGen
Contributor
Contributor

@Albertovich. Apology as i overlook on this message.

I basically resolve the issue. More things happen after that. Right now every time the desktop goes into the screen saver. The whole raspberry hang.

Im just loading the new Raspberry Bullseye and Horizon 2303 and notice that i cannot get it run due to missing  libudev.so.0.

"/usr/lib/vmware/view/bin/vmware-view: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Do you have any idea how to resolve this?

Updated:

I manage to resolve it by

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libudev.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/libudev.so.0

More update:

When using USB Redirection will get Error. VDP Connection Failure.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi:

I should do the same that you did 🙂

Regards

0 Kudos
AndrewChanReGen
Contributor
Contributor

Seems i failure to bring the USB Redirection to work. It only detected the usb but once select then it will show VDP Connection error.

0 Kudos