VMware Horizon Community
Perttu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ubuntu gnome-shell:amd64 3.28.4-0ubuntu18.04.7 update breaks VMware Horizon SSO.

Hi,

We started getting user complaints about failing automatic logins since yesterday, and by this I mean that users had to login again on the GDM Greeter screen while normally they login only once to Horizon Client and then land to the selected desktop automatically.

After a laborious debugging process I was able to pinpoint this issue on Ubuntu 18.04 to a gnome-shell update of version 3.28.4-0ubuntu18.04.7 that started appearing since yesterday. The issue arises from VMware Horizon Agent including its own version of libgnome-shell.so which apparently gets written over by this latest update.

Ironically this latest update also includes a feature that incorporates this VMware-wanted SSO functionality into the gnome-shell package itself hence relieving VMware from patching it over during Horizon Agent installs. I'm referring to the following "bug":

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1886592

However for us it did just the opposite.

So, what is the correct way to fix this issue on our fleet? Reinstall Horizon Agent on each VM? Or just replace the library back to VMware provided in question? Both of these could be done in bulk with Ansible.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chenyu_vmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Perttu,

First, thanks a lot for your effort and finding. To solve this problem, two possible ways:

1. If customer can accept to use vmware customized libgnome-shell.so, just replace that library back will make SSO works.

2. If customer would like to use gnome-shell of version 3.28.4-0ubuntu18.04.7, they need  reinstall horizon agent with "-G yes", to let horizon agent use the default gnome-shell library provided by ubuntu. Otherwise, it needs to use vmware customized version to take SSO function effective.

Any problem, please let me help you, thanks.

Thanks,
Yu

0 Kudos