VMware Horizon Community
jnyb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

RHEL 8 greeter screen loading issue

Hi,

Currently there is an issue that I am having that I hope someone can shed some light on. When connecting to a RHEL8 machine through a thin client (ubuntu) with vmware-view 2111, the greeter screen/login screen only populates at the upper left hand corner and does not seem to refresh or resize properly to the full screen. This issue also happens on the current production RHEL7 systems but after hitting a key on the keyboard it would "refresh" itself and the screen would populate.

With the RHEL8 system, the screen would not populate but hitting a key on the keyboard, the username section would populate but that is about it. When I do hit the time/date on the top, half the screen would populate. I could also log on fine and the desktop gui detect the full monitor resolution fine. I am guessing this has something to do with the greeter screen not recognizing the display resolution?

This posting seems to be experiencing the same issue but I the solution did not fix the issue I am having.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hangl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just wanted to update this.
I've made a fix and it will be released in Horizon-2206-8.6.0.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Hangl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jnyb,

This seems to be gnome-shell not refreshing when the resolution changes.

In my experience, pressing Ctrl-Alt-Tab will help.

jnyb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi hangl,

That definitely does the trick! On our current RHEL 7 systems, pressing any button works but not the RHEL 8, could be a wayland/gnome difference thing. I am glad to know that there is another keyboard shortcut to remedy this. 

Do you know if this a a gnome bug that has never been resolved? Any permanent workaround for this gnome refreshing issue?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hangl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jnyb,

I think it's a gnome-shell bug, and we're experiencing it on Ubuntu 20.04 too. I've reported a bug https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/5489

Unfortunately, there's no permanent workaround yet.

jnyb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi hangl,

Thank you for your assistance/response and link to the bug. I will look into see what is the latest shell version through redhat.

ignaciotorres62
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let us know the result if you can 🙂

Hangl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I also reported a bug to Ubuntu https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1973660 as Ubuntu 20.04 supports till at least 2025. I will keep this thread posted if there's  any update from the upstream.

jnyb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have read the linked page and it was mentioned you could enable wayland for the login screen in /etc/gdm/custom.conf to WaylandEnable=true. I had attempted this the other day and also today but it did not make any difference on the login screen. I do see a difference that your custom.conf is located in /etc/gdm3 and not /etc/gdm/. 

ctrl+alt+tab will just have to be my work around for now.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Hangl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jnyb,

The location of the configuration is different for different distributions. What I tried was to enable Wayland on vSphere, but Horizon Linux does not support Wayland for the time being. So, for now, ctrl+alt+tab is the best workaround in practice.

I am asking for help from my colleague who is an expert in VNC. I will keep this posted if there are any updates.

0 Kudos
Hangl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just wanted to update this.
I've made a fix and it will be released in Horizon-2206-8.6.0.

0 Kudos
jnyb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for update. Looking forward to the new release.

0 Kudos
jnyb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Hangl,

Just wanted to update this post that installing linux agent 2206 fixed the greeter screen loading issue. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Hangl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jnyb,

Thank you for the update, I'm glad to help.

0 Kudos