VMware Horizon Community
UNIBZ
Contributor
Contributor

Non persistent linux VDI pools: home dir

Hello,

is anyone there that use non persistent Linux pools? How are you managing the home directories? 

I used to go the NFS way, but with every Linux release support for nfs shared homes gets more flaky.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pvalenta607
Contributor
Contributor

When able to have it configured I have had good luck using PBIS and the RemoteHomeDirTemplate option. It reads from AD the users "home folder" setting and mounts the share path to whatever folder you specify in the remotehomedirtemplate.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yea, I use sssd for that, the problem is not to get a path for the homedir, but that homedirs over NFS are having lots of problems.

0 Kudos
Perttu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, 

We also use NFS homedirs. However it doesn't fit with Horizon Agent vmw-homedir pam module, which tries to create homedir at login. Hence we use the following Ansible snippet to remove vmw-homedir from Golden image after agent installation.

- name: set in /usr/share/pam-configs/vmw-mkhomedir Default to no
  lineinfile:
  dest: /usr/share/pam-configs/vmw-mkhomedir
  regexp: '^(Default:)'
  line: '\1 no'
  state: present
  backrefs: yes

- name: exec pam-auth-update to remove vmw-mkhomedir
  shell: 'pam-auth-update --package --remove vmw-mkhomedir'
0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @Perttu ,

never noticed the vmw-homedir module. Thanks for the heads up.

I have the feeling that NFS support for homedirs is getting worse and worse, unfortunately.  I would love a solution like fslogix but for Linux. Or the possibility to mount a VMDK volume at login with the user home dir

0 Kudos
pvalenta607
Contributor
Contributor

I have pam_mount working for auto mapping a cifs share for user home directory, however this appears to have broken SSO for Horizon. Using SSH straight into the system authentication works along with pam_mount. Logging in via virtual console with a AD users, pam_mount works.

During a Horizon connection sequence I can see the message "Sorry that didn't work. Please Try Again", followed up with the users full name being presented as if they had already logged in but gdm didn't let them through.

0 Kudos