VMware Horizon Community
scastromx
Contributor
Contributor

Linux application publishing

After spinning up a Ubuntu 18.04 machine multiuser instant clones work great with TrueSSO.

But trying to publish a single Application does not work, if I try to open the "installed applications" dropdown is blank, also noticed that the agent installer does not installs AppScanner binary.

If I manually configure the application path (for testing just Firefox) running the application results in the full desktop.

Any pointers?

Samuel

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Perttu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

> But trying to publish a single Application does not work, if I try to open the "installed applications" dropdown is blank, also noticed that the agent installer does not installs AppScanner binary.

> If you select a farm "again" does it refresh the view but this time with populated application list?

>If I manually configure the application path (for testing just Firefox) running the application results in the full desktop.

With gnome-classic Desktop Environment this works with first run. Reconnections take still to full or windowed desktop view, where all launched applications are stacked on each other. Least when connecting from a Mac client. Here is a screen capture showing Terminal and Chrome applications after reconnection. I dragged Chrome down a bit and clicked focus on terminal to bring it up. There is also a software update notification dialog open at the bottom. The Agent was installed with multi-session flag.

Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 8.00.50.png

Fall semester is starting just in a week, and I would like to offer students (also for those not linux-native) a Linux option before WVD takes over the whole VDI space in us and everywhere. I would love to see VMware putting their effort to this. Linux is the future ecosystem of Docker, Kubernetes and developers, and it's coming strong also into the EUC space. Hence I hope that VMware's lead see the importance of Linux in time.

The multi-user sessions worked great, I agree.

0 Kudos
scastromx
Contributor
Contributor

Mostly as a note to myself, and any other that gets bitten the same way.. I forgot to enable multisession when installing Horizon Agent, the symptoms are: AppScanner is not installed and when trying to open a published application you get the full desktop.

After properly enabling multisession if you manually install an application manually it works, however we have seen that the TrueSSO authentication works sometimes. Horizon console is not able to get the application list, we are testing with a plain vanilla Ubuntu 18.04

Just a suggestion, it would be a nice project maybe by Vmware or for a user community effort to publish an OVA or a set of scripts to generate a reference (and tested) configuration.

0 Kudos