VMware Horizon Community
bdru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Horizon on RHEL7 loading full desktop after timeout instead of application

I am attempting to deploy Horizon 2111 Agent (version 1.8.4.0-19155374) on RHEL7.9 Server to provide an X11-application to Windows clients.
The RHEL7 machine has LDAP to the ActiveDirectory and SSO seems to work fine but behaves weirdly and does not start the application.

Viewagent got setup with parameters:
-A yes -M no -b $HORIZON_SERVER -d $DOMAIN -n $HOSTNAME --multiple-session -R

When we start a default application such as firefox or calculator the following happens:
- Horizon Client loads for about 1min
- Multiscreen Desktop opens and has already logged into my user via SSO
- Issue: I have full control over the desktop and the application doesn't start

According to the viewagent-debug.log the issue seems to be "Login desktop timeout" after 1min
But since the login actually works, I presume that the notification that the desktop is no longer pending is not sent back correctly from GDM? 

Has anyone already had a comparable issue with an application request resulting in a full desktop loaded after a delay?
Unfortunately I am unable to provide the debug logs but I would appreciate any pointers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bdru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In case someone else stumbles across this same issue, the problem seems to have been a permission issue on one of the installer-provided scripts.

When setting gdm to debug mode, I found "Could not parse desktop file vmware-greeter-ready.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary". I was able to confirm that the binary actually exists but the directory permissionss prevent a standard user from executing it. This prevented gdm from notifying viewagent when it was done logging in.

After adding chmod o+rx on /usr/lib/vmware/viewagent/sso and the respective parent directories, and then restarting viewagent + gdm, it started working correctly and now opens the app in unified-mode as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bdru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In case someone else stumbles across this same issue, the problem seems to have been a permission issue on one of the installer-provided scripts.

When setting gdm to debug mode, I found "Could not parse desktop file vmware-greeter-ready.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary". I was able to confirm that the binary actually exists but the directory permissionss prevent a standard user from executing it. This prevented gdm from notifying viewagent when it was done logging in.

After adding chmod o+rx on /usr/lib/vmware/viewagent/sso and the respective parent directories, and then restarting viewagent + gdm, it started working correctly and now opens the app in unified-mode as expected.

0 Kudos
Perttu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You probably had a too tight mask while executing the installer. I've found our default mask 077 too restrictive, so I always type umask 022 before executing the .\install_viewagent.sh. 

There might be permission issues elsewhere in the files as well if you executed the installer with 077 mask. I recommend a reinstallation.

0 Kudos