VMware Horizon Community
shines2
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon Client Dual Monitor Issues

My current environment consists of RHEL6u8 VM's with the latest Horizon agent for Linux installed.

cat /usr/lib/vmware/viewagent/Product.txt

VMware-horizonagent-linux-x86_64-7.0.3-4679208

release

I have the following set within the connection server:

max displays: 2

Max resolution: 3840x2160

vdi_display_settings.PNG

I also powered off each VM and powered it back on after changing the resolution.

On the client side, I'm using the latest client:

Capture.PNG

I have the video ram set on each VM to 128MB with 3D disabled in the connection server and set to auto within the VM.

The Problem:

So the problem I'm encountering is that I cannot utilize dual monitor when using displays with a resolution > 1920x1200.

If I attempt to utilize all displays on a setup with two 27" Dell U2717D (2560x1440), the client causes one screen to be black and renders the remote session in only one monitor at a low resolution (not 2560x1440).

I can un-full-screen the client and manually drag the corner of the client to be the full size of the screen without issue.

I can also successfully utilize full-screen mode (single monitor) which scales the VDI to 2560x1440.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
shines2
Contributor
Contributor

I currently have a case open with vmware about this issue.

It turns out the horizon agent treats dual monitors in Linux as a single monitor.

Running xrandr, shows that the current max height and width of the monitor is 4096x4096.

I just bought two 2560x1440 monitors (currently the max we are buying for engineers), so my target resolution is: 5120x1440

I tried increasing this value to 8192x8192 by using the vmx config editor (svga.maxHeight & svga.maxWidth, svga.autodetect = FALSE)

but the settings do not take effect after power on/off of the VM(s).

I think the solution is to increase the vram to 256 MB, but I cannot do so using the config editor: svga.vramSize 268435456

What is the correct way to set the max height/width and vram size of a VDI? (I'm using VM V13, vsphere 6.5, guest os RHEL 6u8)

0 Kudos
yanchaozhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi shines2,

Please refer to page 13 of http://pubs.vmware.com/horizon-7-view/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/horizon-703-linux-desktops.pdf,

in your case, you are encouraged to try this option: mks.enable3d = TRUE via vSphere web client.

0 Kudos
shines2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I actually found that line in the docs the other night and it did in fact solve the problem.

Enabling 3D does in fact allow a max resolution 8192x8192.

Is this a limitation of the svga driver itself?

0 Kudos
yanchaozhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can think so, shines2 Smiley Happy  and you won't hit this issue if you configure any "real" 3D graphic card for it.

0 Kudos