VMware Horizon Community
mvrk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon 8.0 - RHEL 8.2 guest - No sound

Hi,

I have a virtual desktop with RHEL 8.2 running Horizon Agent for Linux 8.0, i connect to the virtual desktop with the latest horizon client and i get no sound.

If i go to GNOME sound settings i see only an output device called Dummy Output.

Anyone had similar problem? Any fix?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
chenyu_vmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Where are you run command "pax11publish -d", and with which user to run? It shall be run at Terminal window with login user after you login with Horizon client.

If possible, besides "pax11publish -d", please run commands "pactl info", "env", "ps -aux", and print the output here. thanks.

0 Kudos
chenyu_vmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Where are you to execute command "pax11publish -d", and with which user? Please login with Horizon Client first, then open one Terminal, at there run this command.

Also, please run commands "env", "pactl info", "ps -aux" and collect the output, thanks.

0 Kudos
konhuynh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for the response. I loaded into the RHEL 7.9 VM and logged in with my user osi in MWM. Opened a terminal and tried the commands:

$ pax11publish -d

(no results)

$ sudo pax11publish -d

(no results)

$ pactl info
Server String: /run/user/53415/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 32
Server Protocol Version: 32
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 3
Tile Size: 65472
User Name: osi
Host Name: mtar-vm-ped3.isrnet.cbp.dhs.gov
Server Name: pulseaudio
Server Version: 10.0
Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_02_06.0.analog-stereo
Default Source: alsa_input.pci-0000_02_06.0.analog-stereo
Cookie: 6ac9:d74a

I'll add attachments for the results of the other commands because it's quite long. I installed the agent version VMware-horizonagent-linux-x86_64-2111-8.4.0-59659895 with the options ./install_viewagent.sh -m yes -a yes -A yes

Tried running speaker-test and no sound.

0 Kudos
chenyu_vmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi  konhuynh,

From the collected command outputs, looks to me, your desktop environment at this vm is abnormal. You are using the gnome desktop, right?

Could you please share how did you install/modify your desktop environment packages? And what's Redhat7.9 distribution you are using? I prefer you to install Redhat7.9 Enterprise workstation, which has default gnome-classic desktop environment to have a try. 

The following are my Redhat7.9 desktop environment output at Terminal.

[vmuser@redhat79 ~]$ env |grep DESKTOP
IMSETTINGS_INTEGRATE_DESKTOP=yes
DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome-classic
GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=gnome-classic
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME-Classic:GNOME

0 Kudos