VMware Horizon Community
Hocshop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Cannot open sessions with Linux desktops.

Hi all,

I am implementing Horizon for Windows and for Linux on the same Connection Server but with their own Desktop pools.
The desktops are all using GPU processors, some with vGPU and others with vDGA.

I cannot open a session with the linux VMs but I can with the Windows VMs.

I am able to connect with the Connection server then I select the desktop pool for the Linux machines and I get the attached error message after a long wait.
The error is happening when the client tries to connect with the desktop and is unable to.
In Connection server the VMs appear as available.

I believe that something in the desktops is preventing the client from connecting to the Horizon agent but I don´t know what.
I ran the IPtables -F command to flush the IPtables and (I understand) leave all connections in accept mode.
Do I need to do anything else?

I have installed the Horizon agent on the VMs, after configuring the GPU capabilities in the VM, and I need to use manual desktops due to the large size of the desktops.
So Horizon is not doing clones of the desktops at all.
This is done manually by the client through vCenter.

Anyone have any ideas where I can look, what I can look at or if they know of any good troubleshooting KBs that could help me?

Regards
Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hocshop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I never closed this case but I found out the reason why I couldn´t do it.

It turned out that the client was installing their Linux OS from a customized ISO i.e. they had preinstalled some applications and made some configurations that they wanted for all their Linux desktops.

When you try to deploy desktops using that ISO, you cannot connect via Horizon Client.

However when I did a test of connecting to a VM that had been deployed from a default ISO image (not touched by the client) it connected without problem.

So something the client changed for their ISO, broke the ability to connect with Horizon client.

I never did find out exactly what it was as they didn´t investigate further.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Hocshop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I never closed this case but I found out the reason why I couldn´t do it.

It turned out that the client was installing their Linux OS from a customized ISO i.e. they had preinstalled some applications and made some configurations that they wanted for all their Linux desktops.

When you try to deploy desktops using that ISO, you cannot connect via Horizon Client.

However when I did a test of connecting to a VM that had been deployed from a default ISO image (not touched by the client) it connected without problem.

So something the client changed for their ISO, broke the ability to connect with Horizon client.

I never did find out exactly what it was as they didn´t investigate further.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Regards

0 Kudos