VMware Horizon Community
nbecker
Contributor
Contributor

Black screen on Fedora 33

I've used VMware-Horizon-Client-4.10.0-11053294.x64.bundle and it has been working, except I don't seem to have the option for shared home directory, which I need.  I'm using the client to connect to a vm at my work so I can run a virtual windows desktop to edit M$ office files.  Without shared files there's almost no way to transfer files to/from the vm.

I've been using VMware-Horizon-Client-5.5.0-16946361.x64.bundle for the past few weeks and it does have the shared home dir, which is great!  But suddenly it's stopped working.  Perhaps as a result of a recent update.  Now after logging in, instead of a remote desktop all I get is a black unresponsive screen.

I've been using kde/x11 as my desktop (not wayland).  I also tried running on mate desktop, no difference.

I've also tried VMware-Horizon-Client-2012-8.1.0-17349998.x64.bundle, no difference.

I've tried https://gitlab.com/greysector/vmware-horizon-client, no difference.

I've looked at /tmp/vmware logs.  They are quite verbose, but don't see anything that really looks like an error.  I've attached the vmware-horizon-client log.

Alternatively, does anyone know why sharing home dir is grayed out in settings in VMware-Horizon-Client-4.10.0-11053294.x64.bundle and how to make it work?

Neal

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
dm27408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this all the logs you get in /tmp/vmware-nbecker/ ? The only thing that stands out to me is:

2021-01-15 08:10:59.075-05:00: vmware-view 49213| The given license is NULL or empty.

Can you get logs from the server for the same connection attempt?

Regards,

Dominik

0 Kudos
nbecker
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I've attached all the logs collected by vmware-view-log-collector for the most recent vmware-horizon-client, which results in a black screen.  I have no access to server logs.

Thanks for any insights

Neal

0 Kudos
knutjbj
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same trouble with Fedora 36, Nvidia and Wayland.

0 Kudos
dm27408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, VMware documentation for the Linux client states:

Note:
On RHEL 8.x systems, Horizon Client only supports the X11 display server protocol. The Wayland display server protocol is not supported.

This applies to Fedora as well, I think.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
knutjbj
Contributor
Contributor

I know this but it should be made compatible with Xwayland which is an Xserver.

0 Kudos