VMware Horizon Community
Riskable
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone know if they're working on Wayland support for the Horizon client?

Tried out Wayland today on my desktop and the experience was fantastic.  Then I go to connect to my remote desktop and get a message saying the Horizon client doesn't support Wayland!  Annoying!

Anyone know if they're even working on it at all?  Based on VMWare's previous new technology adoption timelines I'm guessing we can expect Wayland support in 5-10 years? 😁

FYI: Wayland has been around for 14 years now and Xorg/X11 has been "on the out" as it were for about ~10 years because no one is maintaining it anymore (beyond security fixes, thanks Red Hat!).  All the hurdles that would have prevented something like the Horizon client from working are long since resolved so there's really no excuse at this point.

Any day now the next release of a major Linux desktop is going to do away with Xorg/X11 altogether and VMWare Horizon will be dead in the water.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RomanAverin
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, there is such a problem. I doubt that VMware will make support for Wayland any time soon. Right now you can run the application in XWayland mode with certain restrictions if you are talking about the Horizon client

0 Kudos
Riskable
Contributor
Contributor

How do you get the Horizon client to run via Xwayland?

0 Kudos
RomanAverin
Contributor
Contributor

Simply run and ignore errors by pressing close.

0 Kudos