VMware Horizon Community
ReGos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Horizon 8 (2212) Pool Configuration Issues

Currently migrating to a Horizon 8 environment from a Horizon 7 environment that utilized full linked clones.

This VDI environment is Windows 10 based desktops (soon to add Windows 11)

We have a requirement for several dedicated-assignment pools and a couple of floating-assignment pools.  We use Ivanti for patching and we treat our VDI environment similarly to physical desktops due to system uniqueness, scanning, and potential for forensics.

I have successfully created an Instant Clone pool for dedicated users.  Thus far, these are working well.

What I am struggling with, is how to create a floating assignment pool of persistent workstations.  I have tried full clones from a template but they do not join the domain.  The same base image will create a snapshot-based pool for dedicated Instant Clone workstations, which properly join the domain.

The goal is a floating-assignment pool of persistent desktops.  Is this possible with Horizon 8?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DaveG_QVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I might be misconstruing what you are trying to do but floating assignments are limited to instant clones (non-persistent). What is possible is dedicated, persistent VMs in which you create a automated full clone pool. You create an AD group that is entitled to the pool and as each person logs in they get automatically assigned and entitled to the next full clone(persistent) that is available in the pool.

When you build these style of pools at the end you simply pick a customization script (like when creating traditional full clones) that has commands like joining the domain etc.

What you want to select when creating such a pool is:

• At the 2nd screen (vCenter Server) select Full Virtual Machines.
  • At the 3rd screen (User Assignment) select Dedicated and check the box for Enable Automatic Assignment
  • At the 11th screen (Guest Customization) you will need to select one of your pre-built customization scripts.

This will then build a pool (you can manage how many VMs max, how many spare (for when 5-10 first sign in to get their new VMs). One each person signs in they will be automatically be assigned to that next VM in order.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
yukiafronia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why don't you join the domain with the template VM Windows and then try the full clone deployment again?

I do not use sysprep when verifying.
Because if the clone fails with sysprep I need to consult with Microsoft.

yukiafronia_0-1677356152389.png

yukiafronia_1-1677356606000.pngyukiafronia_2-1677356613792.pngyukiafronia_3-1677356620706.png

Maybe it's the full clone flow allocation setup you want to make, is that correct?

0 Kudos
DaveG_QVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I might be misconstruing what you are trying to do but floating assignments are limited to instant clones (non-persistent). What is possible is dedicated, persistent VMs in which you create a automated full clone pool. You create an AD group that is entitled to the pool and as each person logs in they get automatically assigned and entitled to the next full clone(persistent) that is available in the pool.

When you build these style of pools at the end you simply pick a customization script (like when creating traditional full clones) that has commands like joining the domain etc.

What you want to select when creating such a pool is:

• At the 2nd screen (vCenter Server) select Full Virtual Machines.
  • At the 3rd screen (User Assignment) select Dedicated and check the box for Enable Automatic Assignment
  • At the 11th screen (Guest Customization) you will need to select one of your pre-built customization scripts.

This will then build a pool (you can manage how many VMs max, how many spare (for when 5-10 first sign in to get their new VMs). One each person signs in they will be automatically be assigned to that next VM in order.

0 Kudos
Geogee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

if you are using the same Image, then there is that problem. For Instant Clones there is in use the ClonePrep, but for full clones you need to use the Sysprep. There can be also problem with the Agent. For Instant Clone you need to have the option of InstantClone Agent enabled, but for Full Clones not.

For Full Clones you are using a template and customization Specs which is in the vCenter Database prepared. Try to create manualy in vCenter new VM with the same template and CustomSpecs as you will be using in the Horizon.

Mainly are the following problems:

1) Windows Licence Key for different Edition

2) DHCP is not assigning IP address to the VM

3) Bad username/password for joining to the domain.

0 Kudos