VMware Horizon Community
Noobie123
Contributor
Contributor

youtube performance over pcoip?

What can I realistically expect for youtube and other video performance over a pcoip on a Wyse P20? I have it running here, and unless I'm missing something I am just not impressed with what I am seeing. It's just ok when running on the web page, but if I move the mouse at all it studders and full screen is a miserable slideshow.

I've tried MMR on/off, hardware accel on/off.  WinXp and Windows 7?  is there an option I'm missing?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Noobie123
Contributor
Contributor

i should add that this is over a LAN, and only one VM on ESX with 36gig ram, dual xeons, and   scsi storage, 1000 lan (client has 100meg lan)

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

PCoIP is trying to automatically tune itself to give a good user experience to a low bandwith so what you see is probably PCoIP trying to reduce the bandwith that its using.

You can configure it to remove all the "stops" to have a better experience but with increased bandwith as the penalty.

If you want to do that I would recommend to read this blogpost and tweak it to what you want:

http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=1301

One note: I had a customer complaining about the same thing, I went ahead and tweaked the settings and when doing the pepsi-test they could hardy tell the difference from a physical workstation. The PCoIP-session was however running at 80Mb/s...

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
GunnerTAC
Contributor
Contributor

Our performance of PCOIP has been really good. I've tested Youtube and HD Netflix just to see how things would stream and the video/audio is perfect. I just tested a P20 at Youtube and 480p video streamed just fine. No hesitations or breaks. We're 100MB LAN with 10MB internet feed. Settings are default. I know that doesn't help fix things for you but it sure appears something on your side isn't quite right.

Tim

p.s. Re-reading your post reminded me that at first I had horrible problems with video. We're using a SonicWall 2400 firewall. Upgrading its firmware cleared up the problem for us. That might be it for you to. Perhaps your firewall needs a firmware upgrade. hth

0 Kudos
Noobie123
Contributor
Contributor

there's no firewall in the loop here.  Whether the network is operating at top efficiency is a guess. We are 100meg full duplex on the client side, 1000 on the server nics.  But  what are we calling "good" video?  If I run youtube on the web page and not full screen, it's pretty good. If I move the mouse AT ALL outside of the movie window is gets really choppy though.  Full screen 480p is pretty rough. Mind you the smallest monitor I can use is still a 1680x1050 res.  I'm just wondering if this is as good as it gets? I've tried MMR, different quality settings, acceleration on/off, upped the video ram to 128, XP and win7, I  installed the Wyse multimedia plugin in XP (didn't find one for Win7). The only thing left to do is remove the bandwidth caps which I will try today.

I don't mind poking away at things to make them run better but if this is as good as it gets, I don't like wasting time either.

0 Kudos
GunnerTAC
Contributor
Contributor

Noobie--your symptoms sound exactly like what I ran into before upgrading my firewall firmware. If I left the video size unchange and untouched it ran OK but if I made it full screen it went to hell. Current video quality through View client is equivalent to what is obtained through a normal hardware pc.

Have you verified through View Administrator that your session is actually PCOIP? Just a thought. Good luck.

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

Ha!  I thought the guy above was being really rude calling you a newbie... then I looked at your name. Smiley Happy

Honestly using a Wyse P20 you should get amazing results.  Else you have something wrong on your network or in the setup.  Most likely you are running PCoIP becuase the P20 no longer supports RDP (unless you are on very old firmware).  So one make sure you are on FW 3.4.1 which is the latest.

Check out my video of a P20 running 720P video I posted on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57bLj97JjmQ

I'm comparing Citrix to View in this case but just ignore that and look at the View side.  Your performance should be just as good as this.  If not shoot me a private message and I'll reach out to you and help you diagnose the issue.  I can normally tell what the issue is just by look at the pcoip_server logs on the VM.  In fact if you want to post those go ahead.

Gunnar

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos