VMware Horizon Community
dallencosma
Contributor
Contributor

windows 8.1 vmware view client issues with PCOIP

hello,

Has anyone experienced any issues running the vmware view client on a windows 8.1 host?

I am unable to connect to any pools using PCOIP - however it works from any other type of client, so it's isolated to a windows 8.1 issue.  I've tried various clients (vmware view 5.3, 5.4, 2.2.0, 2.3.0) and all experience the same issues.  I can connect via RDP, but not PCOIP.  it just sits at "connecting to the desktop..."

Is anyone aware of any windows updates that may be conflicting?  or any other type of incompatibility issues that someone has come across with Windows 8.1?  I should note, i used to have no problems up until late last week, which is why i'm suspecting a windows update or something?

thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What client are you using? There are actually 2 for Windows 8.1, one for the "Modern UI" and one for desktop mode.

The Modern UI one does not yet support PCoIP, maybe that is what you are confused about?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
dallencosma
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried 5.3, 5.4, 2.2.0 and 2.3.0.  Currently 5.4 is installed - which should I be trying work with?  I can't seem to find much help about the client on 8.1...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
cgrubbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would stick with the client for Desktop mode and it sounds like your using the desktop client.  The latest version is 2.3, so that would probably be the one to work with to identify your issue.  I'm running client version 2.3 on 8.1 Pro (last windows updates installed last week as well), connected to a Windows 7 VM using PCoIP, so it does work.  To me it sounds like you've got something causing an issue with your connection, maybe an over active firewall or something else strange in the network stack on your 8.1 machine.  You could check and see if you're seeing traffic between your client and Connection Manager/Security Server/Virtual Desktop (depending on configuration).  Netstat would give you a good start, maybe wireshark if you want to get a bit more information.  Have you tested from multiple 8.1 machines?

-Chris

0 Kudos
dallencosma
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the response!  i'll go back to 2.3.0 and work from there.  wireshark is another good idea too - i'll work with that next.

unfortunately, no - my notebook is the only thing running 8.1 here so far.  Our other admins are all running windows 7, and all end users are just using Teradici clients.  That's the only way i know it comes down to an isolated issue as the rest of our environment is running beautifully.

thanks for suggestions!!

0 Kudos
dallencosma
Contributor
Contributor

hmm - i seem to be in worse shape now.

i removed 5.4, installed 2.3.0 - when i launch it, it shows running in my task manager, but the UI does not actually open up for me to connect to my connection server...

0 Kudos