VMware Horizon Community
baber
Expert
Expert

why my horizon desktop developers team for compile is very slow

HI

i have a big problem with my horizon view environment i have a DL380 G8 server and installed on that VMware ESXi 5.5.0 Update 2 - build-2718055 and run

vmware horizon view 6.0 on that and i don't have any shared storage i have installed on my server 12*300G(15k) and create 4 datastore (attached pic)

now i have create 7 desktop with windows 8  for my java developers  for each of them i have create a dedicate desktop(without composer) with thick provision eager zero disk formats  each  desktop has 100G disk now most of my user say it is slow when they want create compile on their desktops for example when my developers compile a code on horizon desktop it take 10min and when they compile that code on their PC (they use ssd disk on PC) it take 1-2 min how can solve the problem ?

this is force for me to solve the problem i know they are use ssd but on hp server is sas(15k) disk but this time is not acceptable

please help me

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
baber
Expert
Expert

i have searched on internet but could not find usefull answer please help me how can i solve this problem ?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Not knowing that much about your environment I cannot say for definite, however 12 x 300G 15K SAS disks even when complied in a single volume will not give as much IOPs as a single SSD.  the IOPs of a 15K SAS disk is approx 180 so we are looking at 180 x 12 or 2160 IOPS. even a low level consumer level SSD device can provide over 50K IOPS.  this I believe is the root of your problem.  I would investigate adding some SSD to the environment or perhaps investigate something like Atlantis Computing's USX or PernixData's FVP to increase your IOPs throughput by moving your performance layer into your memory.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

thanks but i have 3 question here:

1- you said :  the IOPs of a 15K SAS disk is approx 180 so we are looking at 180 x 12 or 2160 IOPS and SSD device can provide over 50K IOPS  and here say

, however 12 x 300G 15K SAS disks even when complied in a single volume will not give as much IOPs as a single SSD    i am confused 12*300G (15k) sas = 2160iops but ssd = 50iops  ?

2 - reason of this problem may for sas disks?

3- if i put one ssd disk on my server and use VFLASH for my virtual machine do you think will that better ?

Best regards

Babak

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

NOw i have add a ssd disk to my env  and i migrate one of my developers desktop to ssd disk but the time of their project build just decress 2 min from 9 min change to 7 min before that i said my developers team on their pc use ssd disk with 8G ram but time of project build on their pc is 2 min 

why the time of project build not decrease althought i have put ssd disk on my server with raid 0 and migrate one of my desktop on ssd disk ?

what is my problem?

do i have to do special config on my esxi for best ssd disk performance?

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Compilation is probably very CPU intensive and compilers tend to be multi-threaded applications. How many vCPUs do each of the desktop VMs have? try doubling the vCPU count and seeing if that dramatically affects the compile time.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

‌thanks all of my horizon desktops machine has 4vcpu and when they do compile and i monitoring cpu from taskmanager max usage is 20% but in one part build project it say copy 4474 file and this copy take 4-5 min and other part it say deploy war file and it take about 3 min

i am so confused what is my problem what do i have to do?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

50K or 50,000 IOPS not 50IOPS

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

What is your CPU ready state on those virtual machines, how may pCPUs do you have in your physical host, and how may Guests do you have running on those hosts?

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

‌pn my server i have 2 physical finally 16 core my server id dl380 g8

consume of cpu usage is not hight all of my desktops have cpu more than their use

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

That is not what I asked.

what is your CPU ready state on your guest virtual machines, to find that out you will need to check with perfmon on the guest machine. I Also asked what  your contention rate was, ie how many vCPU to pCPU/Core.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

i have answered that question the cpu readey on my guest os in maximum mode is use 20% my huest os has 4vcpu (2socket and 2 core)

what is your means?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

OK so your physical Host has 16 logical CPU, and your guests have 4vCPUs but you have still not said how many guests are running on the Host

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

i have run 4 virtual machine on my esxi host all of my host resource are free i am sure i don't have resource such as cpu or memory i think i have a problem in my horizon config not sure just think althought all of my configs are ok all af my virtual machines have thick eager zero provisioning disk

i am so confused now i pu a ssd disk (samsung 850 pro ) on my host and just migrate one of my desktop on that but nothing change i am confused terrible

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

OK you have 16 logical pCPU and 4 VM's that each have 4vCPUs this means that each of your Physical cores are always being used by the Guests this takes no account of the CPU that the underlying ESXi server itself requires.

normally this is not an issue, but when your users are compiling their programs they are running their CPU' at 100% this leave nothing for the Under lying ESX,  now ESX obviously has control of the underlying hardware and it decides who and what gets granted access to the physical CPU resource. and this obviously takes CPU resource.  this will mean that a virtual machine will be starved of resource for the period that ESX is making its resource provisioning decisions

this delay shows up in the Guest as a CPU Ready state.  it has nothing to do with SSD IOPS.  the vast majority of time  you will not notice any issues, but under times of heavy stress (Program Compiling) machines will be starved of resources.

consider lowering the CPU Count of  your Guests to 2vCPU and getting them to run the Program compile again to see if it is any faster.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

‌thanks but i think problem is not for ram and cpu because i turn off all of my vms on host just turn on these vms:

vcenter - connection server - domain controler and one of my developers desktop and change developer desktop machine cpu to 2vcpu but the time of build project not change i am so confused why time of build project on their pc is 2min but on horizon desktop is 7-8 min their os is windows 8 and i turn off all of themes on os

what do i have to do ?

I See the build project log in one of steps it want 4477 files from tmp to project folder that are on same partition this time on their pc is about 1 min but on horizon desktop is 4 min why ?

please help me

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

OK now I am confused, you told me that you were only running these 4 developer machines on this host.  how many machines are running on the ESXi server in total?  also  have you even done any of the things I have asked like running Perfmon on the developer machines to actually find out what the guests think is happening with its hardware.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

‌i have 8 vm on my host vcenter - connection server - domain and 4 horizon desktop but on 3 of desktops nobody work just create and just from on of that desktop used

about perform test when user doing build project i have monitored cpu , memory of that machine from task manager and all of resource were ok maximum cpu usage was 30 % and memory usage 1.5G and i change vcpu counts from 4 to 2 but nothing change i guess the problem is from disk read and write i have test my disk speed it was different when i get speed of my disk i guess my sas hp 15k 300g don't give me best performance but if i install my os directly on hp server then i can get best disk performance

why?

please help me

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

One more thing to think about is how were the VDI Guests created?  were they built from scratch or converted from Physical devices.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Hi

i have create my desktops directly on esxi without composer not convert now i have a question which i think this is the reason for slow performance

my users pc has ssd disk i have get a test disk speed with this software (AS SSD Benchmark 1.8.5636 Download - TechSpot)

on pc users pic1 is the result of test on local pc ssd disk

and pic 2 is a test disk on my horizon desktop which has sas disk 300GB - 15K

i think this is my problem what do you think ?

but i put a ssd disk - samsung 850PRO - 256G (this is for home user not for datacenter ) on my server and migrate my virtual machine on that ssd disk just one of my horizon desktops and test disk speed and result was pic3 that was so wonderfull for me ssd disk not any effect

why ?

what is problem ?

what do i have to do ?

0 Kudos