VMware Horizon Community
kfkehua
Contributor
Contributor

where does PCOIP traffic come from??

say a thinclient attempts a connection, it would connect to the view connection manager.

From there it will present an avaiable VM tot he client. How does the traffic work from that point on?

Does the client get the pcoip traffic from the connection server? or from the VM itself? or from the ESX server onto which the VM resides??

I'm asking this becasue I need to know how to load balance the nics.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you have the PCOIP Secure Gateway enabled on the connection broker you would utilize the connection broker for traffic and if that is not enabled then the client and vdi machine would access each other directly.

Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

The PCoIP traffic always comes from the virtual desktop to the client on UDP/4172.

The flow wil depend on how you configure it, it can be directly to from the virtual desktop to the client or tunneled through the connection broker.

I would recommend to have a look at this video to get a basic understanding:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14974

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
kfkehua
Contributor
Contributor

somewhere along the line I was told that the PCOIP comes from the ESXi server itself, and that it comes from the vmkernel ports.

I guess thats not true then.

If it comes from the VM's themselves, it must come from the Virtual Machine Ports. correct?

SO I just need to make sure to load balance the Virtual machine port group nics.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah it comes from the virtual machine nics.   The vmkernel ports don't have anything to do with PCOIP.

0 Kudos