VMware Horizon Community
llcooljatt
Contributor
Contributor

vmware view 4.6 client not working !!

hi guys

i am having a problem with getting view client to work on a 32 bit windows 7 laptop.

I am unable to change the connection server address even though I am administrator, I have uninstalled & removed manually folders which belong to vmware but when i re-install it still picks up the old server details and hence get a connection error!!

this is driving me nuts, where does it get this old info from?

btw - I have installed on a 64 bit win 7 laptop and am able to change the server info to make sure im not going mad...

please help

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums.  Is it possible that the information is being forced down from a GPO?  

0 Kudos
llcooljatt
Contributor
Contributor

GPO?

I have installed the vmware view client 4.6. I manually enter the connection server during install. But when i start view client the old connection server settings are still there and of course i get a connection error. Also it defaults to connect as current user, which i told it NOT to do during install. These options are greyed out and I cannot change them even though I am logged in with administrative previleges.

It looks like it is keeping the old settings from the view client I have un-installed. Where are these settings stored and how do I change/purge them? Or is it a different issue?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Group policy object.

A lot of these settings can be controlled by group policy so is it possible someone has configured a group policy and is forcing you to utilize these settings?

0 Kudos
llcooljatt
Contributor
Contributor

how can I change this if I am administrator

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

A GPO is typically applied at a domain level from an IT administrator.   Are you an administrator of your local machine and the domain or just your local machine?   Are you in IT where you could feasible review group policy objects to see if that's what is happening? 

0 Kudos
llcooljatt
Contributor
Contributor

I am a local administrator

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I would try to find someone that may be familar with group policy in your enviornment and see if thats the case. 

llcooljatt
Contributor
Contributor

can I bypass this somehow if im admin?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Not if it's applied at the domain level.   If you open a MMC console and add the Resultant Set of Policy snap in you may be able to tell if it's coming from a GPO and if it's a local policy or a domain policy.

0 Kudos
llcooljatt
Contributor
Contributor

thanks but can you explain how i do this?

where is gpo coming from? my local machine? can i not turn it off? not too great with windows policy

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

llcooljatt wrote:

thanks but can you explain how i do this?

where is gpo coming from? my local machine? can i not turn it off? not too great with windows policy

This should give you some steps on how to use it, http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/What-is-RSoP-for-Windows-Group-Policy.   As far as where it's coming from it can either be setup on your local machine or via the domain.     If it's on your local machine you may be able to turn it off but if it's on the domain then you will need to contact someone in  IT department.    You should probably do that anyway just to see if it is a GPO.

0 Kudos
llcooljatt
Contributor
Contributor

hmmm console does not show any restrictions to turn off?

can the IT admin have hidden items?

0 Kudos
neenarazdan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

yes it can have. It would be good idea to consult IT admin to see if any GPO has been applied on domain/machine level.

0 Kudos
llcooljatt
Contributor
Contributor

ok IT admin confirms no GPO policy which is as I seen showing no MSC policies via console window.

so what else can this be???

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Can you check the shortcut you are using to call the View client to see if anyone has seen command line parameters?  

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

Or force your own command line perference:

wswc.exe -ServerURL

Also, it may be that the installer package you are installing from has the options forced in them.  Try downloading a new View Client from VMware's website and installing it (obviously after you have uninstalled your current one and rebooted).  You can force a serverURL during the install of hte client by using the "VDM_SERVER=server.domain.com" flag.  This is seen in the VMware View Installation guide on page 102.  Yea me for being a nerd and reading these boring manuals.

Gunnar

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
llcooljatt
Contributor
Contributor

iv tried running it from start >  run wswc.exe -server.address but does not recognise that

can you elaborate?

also re-installed the same version from vmware website, guess what the same thing is happening....enough to drive a person insane.

the link where we download the orginal setup file is from a school my wife works for, and it not putting anything in the server settings bit as I tested from my own laptop and it lets me change the server details without greying them out!

hth

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

It should be: wswc.exe -ServerURL server.domain.com

If it works on one laptop and not the other then I'd guess we are back to GPO forcing it.  It makes sense if you are on your wifes laptop, if the GPO was forced by her company you will be hard pressed to get rid of that.  Try logging in as a different user on that same laptop (meaning new profile) see if you get hte same issue.

Gunnar

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
llcooljatt
Contributor
Contributor

yeh tried that does not seem to find the .exe dude just brings up a search windows, ahh nuts

their technician checked it today and said no GPO's have been applied, i will get her to check again

0 Kudos