VMware Horizon Community
acerbisvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

view4 and citrix xendesktop comparison paper on bandwidth usage

Any comments by vmware regarding this paper, viz?

http://www.miercom.com/?url=reports/&v=110

0 Kudos
6 Replies
acerbisvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It claims 64% less bandwidth used

0 Kudos
BISGInc
Contributor
Contributor

Honestly, I do not doubt it. We are seeing fairly high bandwidth usage from the PCoIP clients. We had 20 users connected via 3.0mbps MPLS link and the PCoIP client was all but unusable. RDP was performing better! The client continually compared their experience to Citrix Presentation Server (which is the platform we migrated them from) saying the new platform is much slower.

I hope that some PCoIP protocol tweaks are on their way for WAN users.

0 Kudos
acerbisvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes you need at least 10Mbit/s for 20 users.

Let's face the facts, PCoIP is not a WAN technology at the actual implementation.

0 Kudos
acerbisvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also a lot of less CPU time used when playing flash content.

0 Kudos
erich
Contributor
Contributor

In viewing environments, it confirms that there's no free lunch. My guess is that the performance numbers are reasonably honest. Meircom does reasonably honest work. Could the soft PCoIP performance numbers have been some better with a vExpert there to tweak them, probably. But I also expect that the difference wouldn't be stunning.

The most significant piece of information that was omitted in the report is what type of video cards were used in the HP DL360's that were used as servers. Citrix HDX relies on NVIDIA CUDA GPU cores to accelerate processing. These wind up being a hidden hardware accelerator. Take these out and the CPU and/or bandwidth results would be very different, I suspect.

PCoIP was designed to be a hardware accelerated solution with great compression and encryption. Adapting this to software looks like it has proven to create some inefficiencies. PCoIP in hardware does an amazing job for remote viewing. And requires significant bandwidth. I hope that server hardware acceleration for vSphere arrives soon.

The no free lunch part comes from the three axes of viewer performance (described by Teradici a year or so ago) - bandwidth, computational power/scaling, and end user experience. You can optimize for one, but you have to pay with the other two. If you want great graphics, there's going to be a big requirement for processing, in either hardware or software.

There are lots of viewing environments out there, HP's RGS, NoMachine's NX, RDP in it's various forms, and even the open source SPICE, now from Red Hat. There are compromises for all of these. The best solution is the compromise that works best for you and your end users.

- Eric

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
BISGInc
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, but with the focus for most of us on day-to-day office/knowledge/task workers, I have to say that PCoIP has been quite a disappointment thus far. The truth seems to be that ICA simply outperforms PCoIP in a WAN environment, and by outperforms, I mean that ICA requires less bandwidth to offer the same user experience. Sure, in a bandwidth-no-object comparison, maybe PCoIP can hold its own? I'm sure they are very close in a LAN environment. However, on the WAN, the simple fact is that ICA is head and shoulders above PCoIP in terms of efficiency. What really surprised me is that RDP v5.x (the XP version) is even better than PCoIP.

I truly believe that VMware/Teradici have some work to do if they expect PCoIP to become a viable WAN based remote viewing protocol.

0 Kudos