VMware Horizon Community
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

view linux client --logo and --background - broken?

Cant get version 2.3 vmware-view --logo=/tmp/logo.jpg or --background=/tmp/background.jpg to show images.

Do they need to be in a specific directory, format, resolution?

How about a new client configuration key and command line parameter like view.LoginDialogMessage and --loginDialogMessage that would display a custom message in the username and password dialog box? - Just submitted as a feature request.

Has anyone had success with the --logo or --background?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Is this possible in windows? I would appreciate if someone can show it on Windows too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For our zero client, we found that the default background is in /usr/share/pixmaps/vmware-view-bg.png and the default logo is in /usr/share/pixmaps/vmware-view.png . Modifying the background image and placing it in /tmp/ as in the above command still does not produce the expected background or logo but modifying the background image in place in /usr/share/pixmaps, does give us a custom background. This did not work for the logo. Interestingly, deleting /usr/share/pixmaps/vmware-view*.png did not remove any default logos but it did remove the default background, leaving it a dark grey.

Is the location hard coded into the vmware-view binary, looks like it? Should we expect --background and --logo to work in the future? vmware-view --help lists --background and --logo as valid options but the online PDF http://www.vmware.com/pdf/horizon-view/horizon-view-client-linux-document.pdf does not.

Looking at vmware-view in vim, I see view.background and view.CustomLogo. I tried these in /etc/vmware/view-mandatory-config:

view.background="/tmp/vmware-view-bg.png"

view.CustomLogo="/tmp/vmware-view.png"

but that didnt work either.

We have a policy that a banner "Authorized use only. Use may be monitored." must be shown before login. I know this can be accomplished with windows GPO/Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon\

LegalNoticeCaption

LegalNoticeText

or with Horizon View Admin | View Configuration | Global Settings | Display a pre-login message, but both of those solutions require the user to click buttons, we dont want extra steps for the users during login.

Message was edited by: EricNichols Modified post and added some details

0 Kudos
helenzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi EricNichols,

This is a product issue that hasn't been fixed yet.

0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I notice that now in the Linux 3.1 client, the /usr/share/pixmaps/vmware-view-bg.png background is no longer used and --logo and --background are still not working. That is a lot of releases that have gone by without any attention to this issue. Does anyone have a workaround?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your report and sorry I noticed it so late. We'll look into this issue after the holiday in Beijing.

0 Kudos
songkai
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry for reply too late. This is a bug for 2.3 version release. But we have redesigned the UI of linux view client in 3.x version and don't use backgound icon in main UI page. So "--logo" and "--background" don't work now. We should remove these options from help.

0 Kudos