VMware Horizon Community
jb3vi
Contributor
Contributor

view from host to cluster

In a small view 5.3.2 environment there is only one sphere host with no cluster. So the desktop (linked clone) refer directly to this host. Now I want to add anothere host and create a cluester. When I'll build a cluster the desktop still working or I must right way remediate to link to the cluster? or Coud I refer to cluster after?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcasekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Are you running single vSphere host managed by a vCenter Server?

Regards| Rajasekar.N| "If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful"
0 Kudos
jb3vi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, It was a test environment and now I want to go to production.

0 Kudos
mcasekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, you already added your vCenter server on your view connection server and provisioned a single linked clone desktop (which is on non-cluster setup). Means the replica VM and the linked clone VM is already provisioned on the host.

so the vSphere cluster creation is happening at the vCenter level and when you create a cluster and move the existing host to it, you should not see any issue. the VM's by default will be part of the cluster (without any changes) and you can also add your additional host on the cluster.

You can also go to your view connection server and edit your linked clone desktop pool and verify your vCenter Settings.

Regards| Rajasekar.N| "If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful"
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Leave the current Standalone host as it is.

Create a new cluster, and the new host to that cluster.

Now your VC will have one stand alone host and one cluster with single host.

Now edit that pool and change the resource settings from standalone host to the new cluster

Perform rebalance (All the clones will migrate to the cluster)

Once the standalone host is empty, move that host to the cluster.

Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

creating a Cluster would change the reference in the adam database of the connection server pae-vmpath (Refer to ScreenShot))that is recorded at the time of creation of pool and you will run into issues either changing it manually . I would say have a look at the method proposed by KgSivan

How many Linked clones have you provisioned ?? Stateless or Stateful.

Because if it has no User Data Disk >Delete and Recreate

If it has User DataDisk Detach the Disk and recreate

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
mcasekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

kgsivan & Gaurav both are correct, i tested this and found the attached error while editing the pool after moving the host to cluster.

if you already done the changes as i asked, please don't be panic. Just shutdown the virtual desktops on the moved host and put the host in maintenance mode (don't move the powered off VM's), evict the host from cluster. after that just exit the host from maintenance mode and power on your virtual desktops. Now go back to your view connection and you will be able to edit your pool.

Now you can build a new cluster with new host and edit the pool and modify the host to cluster, resource pool and save the changes. after that just re-balance the pool, now you virtual desktops will be moved to the cluster server, later you can add you standalone server to the cluster.

View Pool Edition Error-After Moving Standard Host to Cluster.JPG

0 Kudos