VMware Horizon Community
LUCBFT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

view compser installation

Hi,

I 'd like to evaluate this exiting news VDM version.

I'm researching few guides like "how to" or "quick start". I didn't find this anywhere.

I like to install the view composer but it ask me odbc connection? which one ? I have to create one ? is there an existing connection ?

When I install viewconnectionserver, it didn't install sql express or something else so ????

Any idea ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Here's the page with all the documentation for View 3, including the aforementioned Admin Guide:

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/view_pubs.html

~If you find this or any other post helpful, please award points. Also mark thread as answered if question was answered successfully.~ Brian Knudtson vExpert, VCP, VCAP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I suggest taking a look at the View Manager Administration Guide for more information, but in summary...

View Composer must be installed on the VirtualCenter server, and requires the use of a database. You need to create the database and an Data Source Name (DSN) which connects to that database, and provide the DSN during the View Composer installation.

Thanks

Jon

knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Here's the page with all the documentation for View 3, including the aforementioned Admin Guide:

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/view_pubs.html

~If you find this or any other post helpful, please award points. Also mark thread as answered if question was answered successfully.~ Brian Knudtson vExpert, VCP, VCAP
0 Kudos
aj205
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you are testing VirtualCenter and View Composer together you can also just point the ODBC connection to the VMware VirtualCenter DSN name as well. View Composer can use the same database as VirtualCenter.

Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You should definitely not configure View Composer to use the VirtualCenter DSN! That would result in View Composer using the same database as VirtualCenter - which is not supported. You can use the same Database server as VC, but you need a separate database instance, which will require a different DSN.

Jon

0 Kudos
LUCBFT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank's again

I 'll follow this administration guide.

Unfortunatelly, it is not near the related docs so it's quite difficult to find it.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Moved to the VMware View Manager Forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
LUCBFT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

here it is not the vmware view manager forum ?

0 Kudos