VMware Horizon Community
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

view 4.5 upgrade to view 5.0

hello,

im in the intial stages of planning my upgrade from 4.5 to 5.0, just curious if any has come across any gotchas, etc. additionally was wondering if you also upgraded your vcenter to 5.0 from 4.x as part of the process. would appreciate any feedback.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IThooglj
Contributor
Contributor

One thing I've run into since upgrading to agent v5, was loss of USB capabilities.  Our WYSE P20 devices wouldn't connect to our LYNC phones after the upgrade.  Spent a lot of time troubleshooting and ended up using a free app to uninstall the hardware ID of the polycom lync phones so the system would recognize them and re-install.  Another user had a flash drive that originally worked but wouldn't connect after the upgrade which is why I know it was a USB and not a phone issue.

Other than that, we've been very pleased with the upgrade.  With 4.5, the login screens wouldn't always load correctly on our Win7 VMs, but with 5.0 that hasn't been an issue.

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the feedback. did you also upgrage to vSphere 5 or no?

0 Kudos
IThooglj
Contributor
Contributor

So far we’ve only upgraded view. Still running vsphere 4.1 right now.

0 Kudos
Kapil84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

As you have successfully upgraded the View  4.x environment to view 5.0 and its running on vShpere on 4.1.

Q: So can you tell me  that  is View 5.0 is compatible with  vshpere 4.1?

Q: so in view  5.0  we need to add vcenter server to fetch virtual desktop from ESX host so in your environment did you add vcenter 4.1 and it wont make problem?

Q: Is vShpere 4.1 environment cause any problem with view 5.0?

Because in my vmware environment I am also planning to upgrade my vShpere 4.x environment to 5.0. before doing that want to first upgrade my view 4.6  environment to view 5.0 so want to be confirm that  i can run view 5.0 environment on vShere 4.1 or not.?

Also can you please send me a detail information or any method for upgrade view 4.6 to view 5.0.

Best Regards,

KB

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

1) Yes View 5 is compatiable with 4.1 ESX

2) vCenter may be a problem as you need to upgrade Composer to v2.7 which is only supported on Windows 2008 R2

3) Not that I'm aware of, I ran View 5. on 4.1 for a long time.  You don't get the ability to add a vGPU which allows for Aero affects in View 5 but I beg people not to enable that anyway. Smiley Happy

I personally would upgrade vCenter to 5.0 first.  The hosts can stay 4.1, after I upgrade vCenter to 5, I'd then upgrade vComposer to 2.7, after that I'd upgrade all the View stuff.

My two cents.

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos