VMware Horizon Community
phife757
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vdmadmin to assign desktop?

I'm trying to give entilements to a user in AD to access a desktop using the vdmadmin.exe command line interface. I'm using VMware View Administrator 3.1.0 build-167577.

Here is an example of what I'm executing and seeing:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\bin>vdmadmin.exe -L -d Pool1 -m DesktopVM -u example.com\phife757

Sucessfully assigned machine to specified user

When I look at the web admin interface after the command above I do not see that user as entitled to use the desktop. Login using the View Client also fails.

I got the command from this article: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100752

So i guess my questions are, am I using this command correctly? If not, how could I accomplish this using the command line?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\bin>vdmadmin.exe -L -d Pool1 -m DesktopVM -u example.com\phife757

So i guess my questions are, am I using this command correctly? If not, how could I accomplish this using the command line?

There's no command line option to vdmadmin to entitle users to a desktop, only to (un)assign a specific VM to them within a persistent pool. You'll need to use the admin UI to set up desktop entitlements. davesherman's recommendation to manage the entitlements for large desktop pools by using AD groups is a good way to go, you can then modify entitlements by scripting changes to the group.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
davesherman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you have to run vdmadmin -F to update the Foreign Security Principals after assigning the desktop to the user.

-Dave

0 Kudos
phife757
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I gave that a try:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\bin>vdmadmin.exe -F

User FSPs updated successfully.

I'm still not seeing the entilements and I'm not able to connect using the View Client

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There may be another vdmadmin command that I'm not aware of, but I believe you still have to do the entitlement manually the View Admin web interface. Once you do that, you'll see the user is assigned to the desktop and they should be able to connect.

0 Kudos
phife757
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How would someone batch provision users to View? It would seem cumbersome to manually add entitlements with a large user base.

0 Kudos
davesherman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We use AD groups to entitle users to pools (you can use adsi scripts to create/populate large AD groups). Once you have the users entitled to the pool, I believe you can use the vmadmin commands to assign specific desktops to users. I apologize, I overlooked this in your first posting, I assumed the users were already entitled to the pool.

-Dave

mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

There's no command line option to vdmadmin to entitle users to a desktop, only to (un)assign a specific VM to them within a persistent pool. You'll need to use the admin UI to set up desktop entitlements. davesherman's recommendation to manage the entitlements for large desktop pools by using AD groups is a good way to go, you can then modify entitlements by scripting changes to the group.

0 Kudos