VMware Horizon Community
jbingen
Contributor
Contributor

vView Limitations?

We are a first time user to VMWare and are so far not as impressed as we thought we were going to be.  We came from a Microsoft background and were hoping VMWare could do what System Center and Hyper V could do- just differently.

We were impressed with how well ESXi and vCenter worked.  We do not have a gripe with this- the core functionality beats M$ in more than a few ways.  Our gripe lies with vView/ WAN access to guest server OS’s.

We would like to be able to access Server 08 R2 or any server OS from an Android phone, iPad, laptop over the WAN to demo/troubleshoot our server based software.  We would like the entitlements to be group policy/AD driven.  We would like to be able to choose what machine we want to access from the pool.

We started off by using a ‘Floating Pool’ this worked fine until we wanted to add a Server OS.  Then it said this OS is not compatible with this pool.  So then we used the ‘Terminal Services’ this worked fine until we wanted to connect to this machine over an Android (and iPad I assume) this ‘display protocol is not supported’.  This I assume is because it used the RDP protocol (Microsoft based) instead of the PCoIP protocol. This works fine when accessing a desktop machine from a Floating Pool using the PCoIP.  The Terminal Services Pool also does not allow you to select what machine you want to connect to.  It just connects you as if you were using terminal services…

If we are missing something or if VMWare has a better product out there we would be willing to try this.  I know VMWare has ‘Cloud Director’ but I fear this may be over kill for our system.  We really do not need a ‘Private Cloud’ setup.  We would simply like to be able to choose what server OS we want to connect to over the WAN.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums.  I don't think you are missing anything as the server operating systems are limited to only Terminal Services being supported.   I would suggest adding a feature request, http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/feature.html, and possibly using a workaround of logging into a VDI desktop and using remote desktop to hit your server infrastructure.   THis way you get the advantage of PCOIP via ipad or android and can still access the server infrastructure for demos and maintenance task

jbingen
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the response.  This is something I thought of.  It is additional step for end users but it does work.  I will need to test performance.  PCoIP to RDP.  Any idea if VMWare plans to support more OS's (server) for floating/dedicated pools? 

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure but I do know plenty of people have asked for it.  You can query your local rep and he might be able to tell you.   

0 Kudos