VMware Horizon Community
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vSphere for Desktop license question

Hi, All

My question is about license restrictions with vSphere for Desktop.

Let say, I have View Bundle lic (100 VM), and I run 100 View desktop VMs on some ESXi servers with "for Desktop" license.

I know, that I can't run servers VMs on this hosts (exept VMs View Brocker, Composer and etc) but what about VMs with desktop OS?
Can I run on this ESXi-hosts desktop VMs, not managed by View (I mean, without View Agent). For example VMs for testing pathces. Will it be EULA violation?

In all documents I see only restriction on guest OS type:

Q: Can I run other server workloads on the vSphere that is included in View?

A: No. The vSphere and vCenter components of the View bundle are restricted to desktop deployments. A desktop virtual machine is defined as a virtual machine running the following operating systems: Windows 95/98, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Business, or Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows 7.

From: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/view/VMware-View-FAQ-Pricing-Licensing-and-Support.pdf

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

When its used with View then its "concurrent connected desktop", that means that a 100 users can be connected to a 1 vDesktop at the same time, but that also means that they could have 1 WindowsXP and 1 Windows7 and then potentially 200 desktops will be running at the same time but as long as the user is only connected to one of them then its ok.

When using another connection broker then its "powered on VM" to that means that a 100 virtual machines can be powered on at the same time.

In this case I would say as long as no one is accessing the machine then it would be allowed but if you have users accessing with RDP for example then they would fall under "concurrent connected" and you would need to license those machines.

With that I am no licensing expert and some customers have special agreements so you should contact your local salesteam if you need an official answer but I would expect that to be similar to what I wrote above.

// linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".