VMware Horizon Community
Glenn7
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere - Upgrading vCenter Server 5.0 causes Hardware,Lincence and Inventory Errors

Our environment prior to upgrade was vSphere 4.0 update 2 for vCenter and all ESXi Hosts. As we were running 32bit OS on our vCenter server (physical) we commissioned a new virtual server (x64bit) to replace it.  The new vCenter server would have a new hostname but we retained the same IP address.  IWe stopped vsphere services and shutdown the server (ensure remote mgmt access avail if physical).  Our vSphere and Update Manager databases are located on a separate SQL server.  During the new install we pointed to the current database (ensuring a successful DB backup completed prior to this).  The install screen states it will takes approx 15mins to upgrade the database but this is relative to the size of your database and environment.  The database conversion for us took 1.5hrs so don't panic if it looks like nothing is happening.  (fyi our environment has 17 hosts and 230 vm's).  After the install   had a lot of issues with SSL certs when we upgraded to vCenter Server 5.0.  We installed it on a new server (virtual) however the SSL folder under the vmware virtual center folder already had some SSL certs stored (from previous testing).  The installation used these certs - there is no prompt to specify certs.   It is also worth noting if you uninstall vcenter it does not remove the SSL, Extensions and Endpoint folders - this must be done manually.  Once we upgraded - straightfoward, all worked ok except we had Hardware Status tab errors, Licence Service and vCenter Inventory Service critical errors.  I spent 3 days modifying the vmware virtual center container details via ldp.exe, recreating and reloading SSL certs using openssl, recreating inventory databases, modifying extion xml config files etc to no avail (all these are detailed quite well in other posts/google).  To resolve our issue I uninstalled vCenter completely, deleted any vmware related folders as I stated above especially the SSL folder then reinstalled the instance and everything worked fine (as it used default certs).  All issues were resolved after this. Bear in mind you never need to disconnect the hosts from vCenter.  When you open the new instance all the hosts show as disconnected - you can reconnect each and enter root credentials again so it can store the SSL thumbprints for each host.  One small issue was our VCOPs installation stopped working and did not appear as a solution in the Center.  To resolve this go to admin link and restart the vCOPS service and reregister it to vCenter if required - log in as root.  https://VCOPSserverName/adminmain.action

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nightrider7731
Contributor
Contributor

Just in case you did not realize it, you are now using the default, self-signed VMware certs which should be replaced with signed certs.  Unfortunately I have been unable to get a signed cert to work with System Status or Hardware Status, even after 3+ hours with Tech Spt over 1/2 dozen different calls.  I'm still working with support on this and would love to get it resolved.

0 Kudos