VMware Horizon Community
warbux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere Hypervisor w/ VMware View

Hi,

Is it possible to install VMware View on a free ESXi install? I havent installed ESXi yet because I am still trying to figure out what solution will fit my needs best.

I am running this out of my basement and I am not running an AD network but can install it if needed. I have about 40 developers from work that want virtual windows XP and windows 7 VPD's (is that the correct term for virtual desktops) for non work related software testing. I beleive the number of developers will double or possibly triple as word of mouth spreads in my office. I purchased a beefy new server to run these VPDs on. My initial plan was to use ESXI and remote desktop but I have been reading into VMware View and that sounds like it is made for what I am trying to do but I am not even sure I can get view working on the free esxi. My VMware experience consists of VMWare Workstation so this is a big step up. Because these virtual desktops need to be always on I am not sure View is even worth using for this. What do you guys suggest?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Warbux,

You do need a vCenter Server and AD domain for View so technically the free version is out. However, when View is licensed, the licensing includes "vSphere for desktops", which includes the ESX\i hypervisor and vCenter Server. Its actually vSphere Enterprise Plus you get providing you only run View related components, Connections Servers, vCenter, desktops etc. So providing you are going to eventually purchase some licensing then you'll be covered. On the otherhand, if you are only going to run it during trials (60 day), you can get a trial vCenter Server license as mentioned earlier so will be good there too.

Hope this helps?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - No you can not run VMware View with the Free license -

I am also moving this to the View Forum which is more approriate

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I'm not mistaken vCenter is required for VMware View usage.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
apuckett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can download a 60 day trial of View along with ESX and vCenter binaries here:

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=default

- Arin Puckett

0 Kudos
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Warbux,

You do need a vCenter Server and AD domain for View so technically the free version is out. However, when View is licensed, the licensing includes "vSphere for desktops", which includes the ESX\i hypervisor and vCenter Server. Its actually vSphere Enterprise Plus you get providing you only run View related components, Connections Servers, vCenter, desktops etc. So providing you are going to eventually purchase some licensing then you'll be covered. On the otherhand, if you are only going to run it during trials (60 day), you can get a trial vCenter Server license as mentioned earlier so will be good there too.

Hope this helps?

0 Kudos