VMware Horizon Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere HA for a View cluster

Hi. We are fairly new to View. We were told by a consultant that you should not have vSphere HA mode turned on for an Instant Clone cluster. Is that true? We also have our connection servers and view database in this cluster too. So I am confused. Thanks,,,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You "should" not have your infrastructure servers and desktops in the same clusters, they have different workload patterns and may cause the cluster to be balanced because DRS can't predict what to do. HA with instant clones may be a problem because instant clones are a temprary vm, when you are done it gets deleted. The problem with ha is its going to try and recover these and may cause consistency problems in view. I used to do the same when we used instant clones but we moved our connections servers out of that cluster into there own, so I haven't seen any real world problems related to HA or not.

0 Kudos
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I want to echo that point that recommended and best practice suggests you have separate clusters for your management and VDI workloads.

Have a look at this link/document for the Horizon 7 reference architecture. It speaks to all of the elements of an enterprise Horizon build.

https://techzone.vmware.com/resource/vmware-workspace-one-and-vmware-horizon-7-enterprise-edition-pr...

Hope this helps!

------------------
Joe Graziano
Senior Solution Engineer - EUC Federal
VCP7-DTM, VCP6-DM, VCP6-DCV
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com
0 Kudos