VMware Horizon Community
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vDesktop is slow

hi, I am using vSphere 4.1, VMware View 4.5 and Windows XP SP3 for my vDesktops, each vDesktop has 2 GB of RAM and 2vCPU limited to 3GHZ of CPU, the users connect to their vDesktops through Wyse C10LE and RDP and also Wyse C90LE and PCoIP, the users claim that their vDesktop is slow while they have enough resource, and when I monitor them with Veeam, they have lots of free resource for CPU and RAM, ( the usage is less than 45%, when I checked I realized their complain is because their screen is like the VGA is not installed and in time of minimizing and maximizing the pages, it is slow motion, is there anything I can do to solve the issue?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

can we try to do isolation by instead of using thin client to connect could you try to use your PC/Laptop instead? this would minimize the scope of problem to either thin client or vmware/desktops.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

What does your bandwidth between client and VDI machine look like? 

0 Kudos
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I did it, 7 users are connecting through their PCs, with VMware View client 4.5 installed, but again the same issue.

0 Kudos
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi, as I said each TC has 1 Gb NIC and the Access Switch port Speed is 1Gb, and also the uplink between Data Center and Server's Switch and Access Switches is 10G.

0 Kudos
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How does the storage look?  We have seen a similar issue when we had misaligned virtual disks or when the Storage was not optimized as we had requested from our SAN team.

Also, are you using locally installed applications or an application virtualization product?  

0 Kudos
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi, as I monitored one vDesktop Virtual disk, the write latency in between o to 1 millisecond, but the read latency is between 2 to 20 milliseconds.

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

Is there any reason you are choosing not to use PCoIP.  RDP as a protocol is slow, PCoIP is much faster.  Try switching the protocol and see if they like it better.

-Gunnar Berger

Teradici

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I am using locally installed applications.

0 Kudos
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am already using PCoIP, but again users are not satisfied with the Graphic performance.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I suspect that PCoIP is not working correctly for some reason, could be networking that is the limiting factor.

Could you attatch a recent pcoip-server.log from the vDesktop?

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have any updates on this? We have a similar issue and are currently going through the process of replacing the device, network cable etc.

Thanks 

0 Kudos