VMware Horizon Community
Mike_MT
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Operations Manager for Horizon (with View)

I'd like to try out Operations Manager for Horizon View, but I need some clarification and a little help.

1) What do I need for the setup?

What version of Ops Mgr? 5.7.x or will 5.8 work?

2) Do vCenter or ESXi versions matter?

I'm still on 5.0 U3 for ESXi and for 5.0 for vCenter.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try this

VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
DJLO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

5.7 will work fine with what you have.  Hopefully your mileage will be better than mine.  We thought it was a dud to be quite honest.  But one man's junk is another man's treasure

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

DJLO wrote:

5.7 will work fine with what you have.  Hopefully your mileage will be better than mine.  We thought it was a dud to be quite honest.  But one man's junk is another man's treasure

Just curious, given the limited options for monitoring View,  what problems you had? 

0 Kudos
DJLO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its not so much problems as it was just not a good fit for us. Pain in the ass install if you ask me, and needs way too many vCPU and RAM to run

• I manage a 50 person shop. I have 12 ESXi servers (we do a lot of web development). vCOPS wanted 8 vCPU and 16GB of RAM for a small install (thats a lot of resources)
  • As you said, the options are limited as to what it can do.  vCOPS seems to be scaled to very very large organizations
  • It costs a fortune to license
  • This part really pissed me off : If you install it on a Cluster, you need to have DRS and HA enabled? God knows why.  I'm not licensed for that, nor do we want to use it regardless of if we paid for licensing
  • So to "demo" it, I had to remove a node from the cluster, install the vAPP and essentially have one node out of a cluster running on its own.  Seemed kind of pointless, I honestly don't know why they just won't let it install in a cluster without HA or DRS
  • Last but not least (and i can say this will honestly, other opinions may differ)... I've used a lot of management tools in my days, some really good and others not so much. I seriously don't understand why they used these badges where you have to click on everything to see anything important.  Seemed to me and my co-worker a really really poor design.  I didn't bother trying to customize dashboards, the one that it comes with doesn't really tell you much looking at it. You have to keep drilling down and down and down

It may make more sense if you have a large organization, i really can't speak on that.  I can say, if you're a fairly small shop, its a big investment in cash and resources.  I'm still looking for something more robust.  Personally i don't like the fact VMware is forcing vCOPS down our throats.  It's now part of the VCP5-DCV 5.5 exam (but i'll leave that for another thread / rant)

0 Kudos
Mike_MT
Contributor
Contributor

Were you able to glean anything out of it regarding Horizon View performance?

My View install seems to run pretty well, but I'm always looking to increase performance and eliminate (as much as possible) issues - was hoping this might help find bottlenecks.

0 Kudos