VMware Horizon Community
epping
Expert
Expert

some web sites are killing my VDI

i have noticed over the past few weeks that some web sites are killing my VDI experience, they tend to be the ones that load lots of flash, it still has the effect of killing performace even if the screen is minimized, i can see nothing in the performance counters.

my set up is a wyse s10 on a 100mb lan.

anyone else seen this, it seems to be happening more and more often

here is an example

http://www.everyinvestor.co.uk/property/property-investment/btl-landlords-head-for-the-exit/e/175-10...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Epping

I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I believe the new (beta) video codecs from Wyse currently have flash as one of the enhancements. If you are able to get the beta WNOS file from your rep, you should be able to put that on test device and see if it helps to improve that. I know they were planning on including flash, but again I'm not certain if it's included yet in the current Beta. Otherwise the NEC device should already have that in hardware.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

the vl100 does not have the flash codecs yet, i here it is some thing they are looking in to.

what happens with me though is the whole VD slows down, even if the web page is minimised and i am in another app, this is happening on various thin hardware types.

its very strange

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Very strange indeed, especially the with the link you sent earlier in the thread. There isn't a lot of flash going on there that would seem to cause any performance hit. I guess the flash updates may still be going on while minimized, but obviously RDP would need to send any of t he screen updates in that case. I haven't personally noticed anything similar while we were still testing Neoware and Chip PC models, but then again I haven't seen that happen on the Wyse V10L either.

If I get a chance though, I'll try to open then link you sent from one of the V10L machines we have (with and whithout any codecs) just to see what happens.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I got one hint when I loaded the screen, it is autoloading a pop-up, how ever it is hidden, That would be my focus of investigation. I hate sites that do this.

I do not think it has anything to do with the Flash, per-see but a lot more to do with the hidden pop-up

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

i think you are right on it here, if i go back to the site the pop up does not run and performance is normal, do you know what the load could be by the pop up??

thanks

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

My gut feeling is that it is some VBscript that logs details of the machine and sends off the details to the originator for logging, and I wouldn't be supprised if it also monitors usage as well.

run a checker for any thing odd running.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

the S10 can be a bit of a dog with screen rendering anyway (especially compared to the V10).

The MMR features do not support Flash or Real Media but this woudl nto be the cause of the issue.

0 Kudos