VMware Horizon Community
Itai
Contributor
Contributor

small test deployment questions

Hi,

we have a client who would like to test several VDI type solutions and select the best compatible with their environment.

They would like to start with 50 desktops.

As we have not deployed this product before, but are familiar with ESX Server suite of products, we need to see what is the best recommendation for their hardware. The question that I have is the shared storage. Is there a way to not use NAS/ SAN type of solution?

My guess is they are looking at 2-3 beefy servers to run their view servers + virtual desktops. However, they currently do not have any SAN shared storage.

What are the options if any, and do we look at significant latency issues if we advise on (cheap Smiley Happy) NAS solution and not iSCSI/SAN solution?

Any thoughts/ input will be appreciated.

They will run mostly office and client based apps, nothing very heavy.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

You could use local storage if you are using a single ESX not configured in a cluster.

Another option is to use openfiler or some other cheapo NAS and configure that as the shared storage.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".