VMware Horizon Community
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

slow performance VDI

hi guys

I have a VDI solution around 100 concurrent users. People say to load the applications takes a long time like open Word, excel, and other office stuff what I mean in general all the applications behave ver slow to repond and open right now I am using a storage IBM DS3400 3 RAID 5.

View 4 / ESX 4

Windows XP SP3

I think the culprit might be the storage but how can I check that?

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robertkadish
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes storage is the problem. If you want to get a true understanding of the issue I suggest you use a comprehensive tool as storage views only can be very deciving.

Try LiquidWare Labes or Lakeside Systrac

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What sort of throughput are you seeing with Storage Manager? Just to clarify how many disks are in the RAID 5 array?

You can also take a look at the performance documents here - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/general/performance?view=documents.

In particular take a look at Storage Performance Analysis and Monitoring which describes how to use esxtop to isolate storage issues.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks a lot for the info

by the way how can I measure Read/Write for the Applications? any software to install on these Win XP?

thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use Performance Monitor within an XP virtual machine, but the results that you obtain may not be accurate. In the vSphere client you can also look at the performance tab. A lot of the info you get with esxtop is available there as well.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

Damo007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here's a good article for you if you havn't read it.

www.virtuall.eu/download-document/vdi-storage-deep-impact-v1-1

IOPS were the killer for us. For 100 XP machines we are in the midst of buying an IBM DS3500 with an extra enclosure running 38 15K 150GB SAS disks in a raid 10. We thought we could run these 100 machines on a lot less disks in a raid 5 but once we started testing this was not the case. After a tonne of research, performance monitoring and testing we feel comfortable our 38 disk raid 10 solution will suffice.

Would be interested to know how many spindles you currently are using for 100 machines.

P.S Cache upgrade if you can

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As Dave has said ESXTOP is a great resource in monitoring storage performance. I would also recommend utilizing any SAN tools you have available to monitor performance from the SAN side. What kind of profiles are you running on the machine? If you are redirecting your app data or anything like that it could have an adverse affect on launch times

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hi guys

my customer provided me these

what do you think? he says why the storage is creating some peak usage -and when that happens desktops are slow? right now I am running the storage monitor

will this DS3400 not enough for this VDI enviroment? 2 RAID 5 (6 and 3 hard drives each), 3 LUNs I know you recommended me esxtop but meanwhile I am adding these screenshots

0 Kudos
Robertkadish
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes storage is the problem. If you want to get a true understanding of the issue I suggest you use a comprehensive tool as storage views only can be very deciving.

Try LiquidWare Labes or Lakeside Systrac

0 Kudos
simonlam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rather than guessing where the problem is, it is better to collect performance measures from all your

VDI tiers and truly understand where the problem is. For instance, the eG VDI Monitoring tool gives

you this capability - see http://www.eginnovations.com/web/vdimonitor.htm

0 Kudos