VMware Horizon Community
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

setting up vmware view

hello all, general question I am setting up vmware view. I am at step 2 where I created vm machines, install view agent.

It says convert vm to templates for full-clone desktop pools or create parents for linked-clone desktop pool. I did not see

an option to convert vm to templates? or the option to create parents?

-the next step in step 2 is to take snapshots for view composer to use a vm take a snapshot of the vm parent with vcenter? I see on the guest where to take the snapshot, did not see option on the vmview server with vcenter installed the option to take a snap shot?

is there are place where I can get step by step instructions with explanations on what each means? 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The evaluation guide is probably the best bet for that, http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/view/VMware-View-Evaluators-Guide.pdf.

To convert to template right click on the VM, Template, and convert to template.

To make a parent image you shut the VM down and create a snapshot.   You can then point VMware View to the snapshot and deploy machines based on that snapshot.

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

yes, thats what I am using to get the info and the steps to set things up. But like now it says  convert virtual machines to templates for full-clone desktop pools etc.

can you tell me why I do not see the template option? I am on vmware esxi ver 5.0? I'll try and take a snap shot

in the install it says install and configure vcenter?

where are the vcenter configuration instructions?

.I shut down the vm and created a snap shot, I went to the vm view server but I am not seeing the vmview to pointe vmview to the snapshot?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

vCenter is a requirement for VMware View and is also a requirement for templates.  if you don't have vCenter setup then you will not have the tempalte option.  

Once you setup vCenter and add your host you can then configure View to that vCenter instance.

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

I ran the install for vcenter server I took the stand alone option, (just in test mode we have other vm's on the network)  not sure why I am not seeing other options?

I see vcenter orchestrator configuration, and client, vmware tomcat, vmware tools. I am thinking something is missing?

I started the vcenter orchestrator configuration its a web based interface.

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

ok, I reinstalled vm view. I had to stop the iis service. I did not get any errors during install. I started vmclient that installs when you install vmview

user name local host. I logged into the vcenter server. I clicked on new datacenter I tried adding a host and got message.

cannot contact the specified host. the host may not be available on the network, a network configuration problem may exist, or the management services on this host may not be responding.  call datacenter.queryconnectioninfo for object new datacenter on vcenter server. do i need to restart a service

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Did you try to add a esxi host?  

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I am on the vmview server i have option for new datacenter\add host

I tried with the ip or host name I get that error, cannot contact the specified host..... btw I can ping by name or ip on the view server from the command line.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Can you provide a print screen?  it seems like your on the vCenter server and attempting to add the esx host.   If you were on the View server you wouldn't need to add the esx server but instead would be adding the vCenter instance.

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

I started up the vsphere client that you get when you install the vmview server I log into the localhost

with the u/n and p/w

when I right click on the vmview server I have option to create new folder or add new data center.

I chose add host, the add host wizard comes up. I put the ip address or name of a virtual host I created

I put the u/n and p/w click next then I get that cannot contact the specified host error. I attached a screen shot

of the windows I am working with.

btw there has to be somewhere else where I can get some detailed install instructions the pdf gives a over view but not

images and detailed steps. question who do I go for support and configuration?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The add host is for the vSphere host (ESX or ESXi) and not the guest (Windows 2008).

For support and configuration you do searches within the communities.   There are also a lot of blogs that will go into a lot of detail about setup and configuration.     This is for an older version but it will give you an idea of what is needed.

http://paulslager.com/?p=572

0 Kudos