VMware Horizon Community
amc1989
Contributor
Contributor

selecting different audio out devices for Softphone / Jabber-Client in Horizon View

Hi,

I´ve some trouble to satisfy a user request. In fact this user will decide, if we turn our test envrionment to production ... :smileylaugh:

a key-requirement for our View-Windows-Desktops is, to support softphone; no problem, I thought because RTAV should work. And in fact: RTAV works!

But using RTAV allows to use only one audio out device - and the user wants to select via Cisco Jabber Client two different audio out devices:

Cisco Jabber Client offers the possibility to select three options for audio:

- speaker (1)

- microphone  (2)

- and warnings (3)

for (1) and (3) with RTAV I can only choose the VMware Virtual Audio (DevTap) device, (and for (2) of course VMware Virtual Microphone).

My question: can I select to different devices for audio out, so that the user can hear the softphone ringing (the warning sounds) via the pc-speaker and then, after he has picked up the phone the sound comes only from the headset?

I´ve also tried the Teradici Audio drivers - no success.

And even if I use USB-redirection for the headset, I can´t get it to work: either the sound comes ONLY from the headset or from the speakers. although in Cisco Jabber Client audio settings I can then select different devices for (1) and (3) by using USB-redirecton. ....

My recent idea is, to use a separate USB-Soundcard for the warning sounds. Has sombody tried this before ...?

we are using Horizon View 6.1.1 and View Clients 3.3 and 3.4 for Windows; Cisco Jabber Client 10.6.2; View Deskopts are WIN7 64 bit

Thanks for telling your ideas / advice

Heinz

0 Kudos
5 Replies
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

great to hear that RTAV is working for you.

Unfortunately however, it's not possible to split the audio in the way that you'd like.

This is something we have been asked before, but as far as I know its not possible.

The only thing that might work (but I haven't tried, and can't confirm) is that you install some sort of audio splitter/mixer software in the guest (I don't know if such software exists), where it sends the bings/beeps/ringing etc to a remoted USB speaker. Everything else gets sent to the devtap audio out and out the other speakers on the guest... 

Unfortunately I haven't tried this, I don't know how well it would work even if you could get it going. Certainly, I can say that there are no options in Horizon View that will support this requirement today "out of the box".

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
TonyHuynh201110
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Any reason why they aren't using the Cisco VXME media engine for media offload capabilities?

0 Kudos
amc1989
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Peter,

thank you for your very fast reply. Although that are no good news for me. But your answer brought me a link on the right box on this site: sombody else was asking for the same topic in june this year too - and you are right: there is no solution at this time.

Perhaps this feature will be integreated in a future release ... :smileylaugh:

Heinz

0 Kudos
amc1989
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tony,

oh what´s that? Sounds interesting - I´m just on the way to our networking team ... Smiley Happy  These guys are the master of softphoning; they should know what this engine is ...

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
amc1989
Contributor
Contributor

short update:

short summary how I get it working:

- disable in gpo rtav-funcionality

- uninstall cisco jabber and all cisco plugins

- unistall horizon view agent

then

- install cisco vxme-client in your host-machine/thin-client