VMware Horizon Community
gelliottaus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

scanner redirection and density

Hi,

I understand that the scanner redirection feature impacts performance and desktop density. Anyone know if we can script enabling the feature within the guest.. would be nice to have the feature installed but only active for a subset of users while keeping the same base image.

P.S. desktops are non-persistent.

Rgds,

Glenn 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamarty7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

a scanner should not create a heavy load on machine, the additional charge would not cause more than 5 to 10% I guess

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ning202201
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Could we know in which way was used to check that “the scanner redirection feature impacts performance”?

he scanner does not eat any performance until you scan..

0 Kudos
lamarty7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

a scanner should not create a heavy load on machine, the additional charge would not cause more than 5 to 10% I guess

0 Kudos
Hmunning
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware has the following in the release notes for Vmware Horizon 7:

Selecting the Scanner Redirection setup option with Horizon Agent installation can significantly affect the host consolidation ratio. To ensure the optimal host consolidation, make sure that the Scanner Redirection setup option is only selected for those users who need it. (By default, the Scanner Redirection option is not selected when you install Horizon Agent.) For users who need the Scanner Redirection feature, configure a separate desktop pool and select the setup option only in that pool.

link: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.13.1/rn/horizon-7131-view-release-notes.html

I assume this also applies to Horizon 8, however it is not in the release notes. Would be nice if VMware would clarify. Currently, we only enable this feature for a specific group, but this involves additional management of a template / pool etc...

0 Kudos
gelliottaus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just had some feedback from a Horizon SE working with vmware and they confirm its a 5-10% penalty.. so I am not going to bother trying to split desktop pools.

0 Kudos