VMware Horizon Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

resizing the desktop pool

i remember i can extend the size of pool, but can i shrink the pool size?

1) if my pool is newly created and entitled to nobody

2) if my pool is partially entitiled

-

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I did this awhile back but if I remember correctly I was able to reduce the size of my non-persistent pool. When I dropped the number of VM's VDM started to delete vm's until it reached the reduced size specified.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

are your desktops already entitled to users? will VMware VDM avoid to delete desktops already entitled?

-

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

My pool was already entitled but it was a non-persistent pool so it didn't matter which desktops were deleted.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

what you need to do is select your pool in the VDM admin console and unentitle it. then click edit and navigate through and when you get to the number of Desktops in the pool lower the number. continue with clicking next until completion. once this is done. VC will automagically start to delete the over provisioned desktops.

whislt VC is doing its thing remember to re-entitle the pool.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

for non-persistent pool, i also agree on with you.

-

0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

for persistent pool, your approach do not works. my conclusion is, if the desktop is already bind to a user, it will not be auto deleted when you decrease the pool size.

but you can manually delete it

0 Kudos