VMware Horizon Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

reinstall ESX cause desktop-VM relationship disappear

i setup a VDM test environ within 2 ESX, i build a individual desktop and a persistent pool (pool size = 4, VM=vm1, vm2, vm3., vm4). and it works fine. and i reinstall one ESX from ESX 3.5 to ESXi 3.5.

after that, strange things happend,for the individual desktop, the VM previously attached to it disppear. for the persistent pool, i can see the virtual center deploy VM from template and finally 4 new VMs are deployed, and they are vm3 through vm6.so i have two vm3 and vm4. and one vm1, vm2, vm5, vm6.

Does someone have similiar issue?

-

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

i setup a VDM test environ within 2 ESX, i build a individual desktop and a persistent pool (pool size = 4, VM=vm1, vm2, vm3., vm4). and it works fine. and i reinstall one ESX from ESX 3.5 to ESXi 3.5.

after that, strange things happend,for the individual desktop, the VM previously attached to it disppear. for the persistent pool, i can see the virtual center deploy VM from template and finally 4 new VMs are deployed, and they are vm3 through vm6.so i have two vm3 and vm4. and one vm1, vm2, vm5, vm6.

Does someone have similiar issue?

----

I had this same issue a couple of months ago but mine was caused by a removal of the host from VC. I removed the host and added it back and it caused VDM to lose the relationships with the VM's which prompted it to deploy new VM's. At the time it happened I opened a support ticket and was told it was a bug

This happened to me in version 2.0 so I'm not sure if it is relevent in the newer version.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

my lab is based on VDM 2.1, hope this bug will be solved in future.

-

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

funny thing is we had this issue yesterday. We had a host just fail on us, thus leaving a 140 VM's in a disconnect status. As far as VDM was concered the pool was in tact because even though the VM's were disconnected, the were still registerd in VC, howerver once we disconnected the ESX host, VDM immediatly started to deploy new VM's. I don't think this is a bug, this is the way VDM should act if you have your desktop pools constantly enabled. It's kind of a catch 22.

We brought this up on our Friday morning call with VMware Engineers.

EDIT: We did not use HA, but now have decided to go with it. The key if using HA is to have the VM's remain powered on, because if they power off, VDM will start re-creating them at the same time HA is bringing them up on other hosts in the cluster.... Talk about a mess!!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

When I opened my support ticket I was told that it was a bug and should not have happened. In our case when the host was removed and added back VDM lost sight of a pool of persistent desktops (even though the desktops stayed online and continued to communicate with the broker). If these were a non persistent pool it wouldn't have been a big deal but since these disk contained data and at the time where was no easy way to import desktops into a VDM pool so it quickly turned into a bad situation.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Isn't VDM Fun!!!

Learn something new everyday!

Thanks Tim!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I can honestly say I learn something new about ESX and VDM every single day which is great. As far as the bug thing keep in mind that the information was from support and this would be the same support that told me it wasn't possible to import desktops into the connection broker which we all know is possible. For me it's always 50/50 what type of support I'm going to get when I call in.

0 Kudos