VMware Horizon Community
siggebasse
Contributor
Contributor

refresh rate problems in CAD - Microstation

Hi

I have some issues with refresh rate in Microstation v8i. Sometimes when I minimize Microstation it do not refresh the screen. I have not seen this before not even whan it runs in RDP.

I have attached Screendump.

My setup is:

IBM 2650 M4 128

Quadro 4000

Vcenter 5.1 - 799731

Host: 5.1 10211289

View Horizon 5.2

Pools setting¨:

PCoIP ->3D Renderer 256mb

VM:

Agent 5.2

Client:

View 5.2.

Software: Microstation v8i: Uses direct 11.0.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I assume that you are running vSGA and have installed the Nvidia VIB and verified that the xorg-service is running.

vSGA will not provide DX3D11, only DX3D9.0C.

1. According to the Microstation requirements it wants 512Mb of vRAM, could you try to assign that to the VM?

2. Could you post the result of gpuvm command from a ssh-session on the host?

3. Is it the same corruption if you look in the vSphere Console session?

4. Try to change this registry setting on the VM –

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware SVGA DevTap]
“MaxAppFrameRate”=dword:00000000

If it does not exist it defaults to 30. Set it to 0 to disable any frame cap.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
siggebasse
Contributor
Contributor

1. I assign the 512mb vRAM

2. the gpuvm shows:

Xserver unix:0, GPU maximum memory 2076672KB
        pid 367593, VM "VM-AKH", reserved 262144KB of GPU memory.
        pid 367628, VM "VM-PMO", reserved 262144KB of GPU memory.
        GPU memory left 1552384KB.

3. Same problems in the console session

4. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware SVGA DevTap]
“MaxAppFrameRate”=dword:00000000 er set

/Karsten

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Karsten.

I'll try to replicate your problem in a day or two if I get hold of the software.

Are you based in Denmark or Norway by any chance? (Your name sounds like it...)

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

That looks like a graphics driver bug. Not related to tweaking the MaxAppFrameRate. Do you have the latest ESX patches from Patch 1? There were some graphics patches in there. If you do, there likely is a bug related to this app specifically our graphics team needs to look at fixing.

WP

0 Kudos
siggebasse
Contributor
Contributor

Your are right about that it is not related to the refresh rate tweaking MaxAppFrameRate. Today I have seen some other problem related to Micostation v8i. The screenshots below shows one of the problems. The orange area should not be transparent and if I zoom in the transparency disappears. 

Unavngivet.jpg

Since view 4.0 we have been using Microstation v8i on our produktion environment. Microstation have the ability to run in software mode. If you VMware guys need some instructions using Microstation we will be happy to help.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yea, I am 99% this is a graphics driver bug and specific to our interaction with the app. 

Do you have the latest ESX patches installed? Again, it might be fixed by one of the fixes that went into patch 1.

>> Since view 4.0 we have been using Microstation v8i on our produktion environment. Microstation have the ability to run in software mode

This makes sense. When switching over to vSGA you are evoking a totally different rendering path / driver functions etc. Different from the software rasterizer provided by the app. I bet if you had a Non GPU backed VM that was using our software 3D you might not see this with it either. Know if you do would help the engineers. If you do see it with both we will look for the issue in another area vs. if you do.

If you have the latest patches loaded. I would get a case open with our support. Feel free to point them to this thread or tell them to ping me. I am happy to tell them it looks like a bug we should get open with the right engineering team. It will help save time on a lot of troubleshooting.

WP

0 Kudos
siggebasse
Contributor
Contributor

I have the lastest patch. I just checked again through the update manager. Just to be sure. Smiley Happy  We do the seen the same issues when running in software mode.Problems running in software mode is that Microstation is slow and it can´t zoom som dynamics VMS services.

But when Microstation detect a "dedicated display device" it will use that. So the 3D rendering  without GPU had some other issue. We are getting closer with the GPU 3D rendering.

0 Kudos
Bhargava_Shriva
Contributor
Contributor

Share the following details

1. H/W used. BIOS settings made for the same.
  2. Is it Auto CAD? Which version for Auto CAD?
  3. vCPU and vRAM assigned for VM
  4. video memory assigned per VM
  5. share the o/p of gpuvm and nvidia-smi
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ok,if you have the latest ESX patches. You are hitting a bug between us and the application and how some of the rendering is being handled. This is not an app we have ever tested and or one in beta anyone we know of used. So it has not been on our radar. Best thing to do is open a case with our support and get it raised as a bug. We will need to set it up and look at a fix for it.

WP