VMware Horizon Community
BobLafleur
Contributor
Contributor

"virtual subnets" for deployed desktops?

Hi,

I've downloaded the evaluation version of VMWare View 4 along with the valuation of ESXi server, and vCenter. I have set it all up on a test machine and I've gotten things pretty much working, and now I'm trying to work through some of the kinks.

One issue I can't seem to find much information on is the IP addressing for the deployed desktops. They grab DHCP addresses fine, but I've only got a handful of available DHCP addresses on our subnet, and I'd like to be able to deploy more desktops than I have DHCP addresses available.

I was hoping there migth be some type of "virtual subnet" like there is in VMWare Workstation, where I could create a "dummy" subnet, so each deployed desktop will get an address in that subnet, but ultimately they will all be NAT'd to one real address as seen from the outside world. Is this possible? I just can't seem to find the right combination of settings to make it work, or even believe that it can be done.

Does each deployed desktop need to have a unique IP on the "real" network? If so, then I've got another problem to resolve.

My ESXi server, vCenter, etc. is in the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet. Most addresses in this subnet are already used; there are a handful of DHCP addresses that will get handed out, but ultimately not nearly enough for the number of desktops I want to deploy. My server has a second NIC but it's not connected to anything. What do I need (hardware) or to do (software) with this second NIC to assign another subnet, such as 192.168.11.0/24 as an entirely available pool of addresses for my deployed desktops, but yet allow them to communicate with systems in my 192.168.10.0/24 subnet (as well as any other global addresses)? I think I'd rather just have a "virtual subnet", but if I need to define another physical network for this address space, how do I go about doing it?

VMWare Workstation has such flexible networking modes, I figured it would be a "no brainer" for the Big Boy VMWare products to have similar capabilities. But they seem absent - or just harder/different to set up?

Thanks for any information you can provide - it will help my evaluation go smoother.

Bob Lafleur

Director of Information Technology

CT Renaissance, Inc.

0 Kudos
0 Replies