VMware Horizon Community
MikeTyler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"all desktop resources are in use..."

Hello all

I am relatively new to VMware virtual technologies but I am learning fast. I began supporting a pool of test users last year all on dedicated assigned machines. For the users that travel a lot this has proven to be a great solution. They connect from personal PC or MAC, ipads, etc and mostly have been incident free. Others in the pool however are power desktop users and are in the office 9-5 and like my travel users will connect to their VM using HP 610t thin clients, iPads, Macs, or personal PC's.

Between these two groups, I tend to get more calls from the power desktop group and most of the time its a connection problem. The most common error is "All desktop resources are in use...". At the start, our quick fix for this was to either reset the VM from the View admin console or have the user initiate a reset from their client. In later incidents and to avoid time lost waiting for the user's VM to come back up we began trying other methods. Sometimes just attempting a login from my computer using the View client with the users creds would fix the connect problem and the user could then get in. More recently we have learned that simply logging the user off of their session from the View admin console will restore connectivity again. Why is this?

From the above experience it seems that its not the user's VM that becomes unstable but rather something within the users session that goes stale and causes the error and the inability to get logged in. As a workaround we have adopted a best practice of restarting the VM once a week. This has done much to diminish these connect errors but we still see them from time to time. My expertise has been with PC's over the past 20 years so I am unsure how resources are allocated at the server for the users sessions on these type machines. Could it be user sessions have some "cap" and after so many new connections are made, it becomes unstable and session must be ended? Or maybe there is some cache that's running that has a set limit and as a result will stop letting users reconnect without ending their session?

I appreciate any advice and help here for a newbie. I am working on my VCA and stand committed to this new technology. Smiley Happy              

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

You have posted in the Workstation forum but it sounds like you are using VMware Horizon View, is that correct?

Please then also reply with what version of the software you are using and how the pools are configured. Screenshots are fine.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MikeTyler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for responding Linjo! I spent a little time looking for the correct forum and thought this was the closest fit? Can you direct me to the preferred area for future postings for VMware Horizon View issues?

I can get screenshots of pool configs later today. The agent version on most of these in the pool is 5.1.2 

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

No problem, I have moved it to a better fitting forum.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

From the description it sounds like you have configured a floating pool and allowed users to use several desktops at the same time.

I would suggest to make a dedicated pool instead.

// Linjo

0 Kudos
MikeTyler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, its definitely a dedicated pool as I described. Will get you that screenshot of config this morning.

0 Kudos
MikeTyler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here are pool configspool_config_1.JPG:

0 Kudos