VMware Horizon Community
aznboi27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"The connection to the remote computer failed" error VMware View Client

Hello everyone. I am currently testing out the VMware view package but stuck on a problem I can't figure out. I have already tried googling every possible thing, but still came up short on what to do.

Currently I have:

ESXi 3.5 server running

- vCenter Server

- Connection Server

- 3 host xp individual desktop pools w/view agents installed

As of right now, I have seemed to setup everything right because I am able to connect using VMware client/portal with any full blown windows box anywhere in the internal network. The problem I have is when I try to load the VMware view client software on a HP Neoware e90 box running windows xp embedded. After I load the software and try to login, I get pass the connection server address screen, the authentication, but receives the error "The connection to the remote computer failed" when I try to select any of the desktop images from the list.

I am able to ping everything everywhere, from thin client to conn. server, thin client to desktop image and vise versa. I am also able to RDP into the desktop images from the thin client box but just can't figure out why it won't get pass that error message above. I have tried to turn off the firewall on everything, but it still does not seem to work. Am I missing a simple step or has anyone else ran into this issue before? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When you turned off the firewall was it the firewall service or at the network? if it was at the network, then you need to disable the service and stop it. If you did the service, then can you get the logs from the client and post them. Often that info can indicate where it's running into an issue.

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( )!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CWedge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to make sure DNS has forward and reverse records for all xp desktops.

AD is setup and accessible on them

Windows Firewall is off on the XP desktops..

aznboi27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried adding these thin clients to the domain and trying to use view also but it doesn't work. I have tried inputting the DNS server information manually and still no luck. I edited the host file on the system to point directly to them but still no go. I turned off all the firewall everywhere and still no dice.

This problem is just getting more and more frustrating. I can ping by netbois (computer name) name and IP address all around fine. And they can all get to Active directory and pass the authentication portion. RDP works fine too, just seems view client has a problem. =(

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When you turned off the firewall was it the firewall service or at the network? if it was at the network, then you need to disable the service and stop it. If you did the service, then can you get the logs from the client and post them. Often that info can indicate where it's running into an issue.

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( )!

0 Kudos
aznboi27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ibourque, I like to thank you for your assistance and everyone else that helped. I never thought about looking at the log files to see why it was failing. The older thin client models have RDP ~5.0 installed which is not compatable with the VMware Client view. You will need to install RDP 6.0 or higher Microsoft KB952155 in order to fix this problem.

The link is here for the fix

The error message was:

The connection to the remote computer failed.

There was an unexpected RDP disconnection. Microsoft RDP error code = 1800

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
TAFVMWare
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have this same problem on HP Thin clients. It's caused by the Sygate firewall that comes installed by default. The way I solved it was to create a firewall rule to allow both in/out traffic for the wswc.exe which is the View client executable. I then commit the changes the the Thin Clients NVRam and View works great.

I hope this helps,

Ty

0 Kudos